Morecambe v Plymouth Argyle - game OFF | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Morecambe v Plymouth Argyle - game OFF

Oct 5, 2013
I found Adams’ team’s style of play so dispiriting to watch, and his explanations of what had gone wrong so boorish, that I voted with my feet and simply stopped going to watch. Simply wasn’t prepared to spend my money on such poor fare.
I was delighted when Simon Hallett stepped in and he departed, the win in the final match under Nance was so refreshing with the different attitude clearly evident, and the change for the better ever since has just continued.
Now it’s fun to go to Argyle again.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
up_the_line":3hv9u6i8 said:
Justin":3hv9u6i8 said:
up_the_line":3hv9u6i8 said:
Kentishgreen":3hv9u6i8 said:
I’m not a fan but a quick look at GOS shows that Adams was in fact one of our most successful managers. Here’s where it gets sacrilegious, even more successful than the prize buffoon from Bristol. How many of our managers have you seen interviewed by the beeb as the club had just achieved a record number of away wins. Get real!

Try to put some sort of context to his win ratio please.
By making such a cock up of the Wembley final he got a second season of playing against utter duffers to boost his all important stats.
The only barometer of success worth paying attention to is promotions v relegations and he delivered zero progress over 4 years.
He's one of, I think 4 managers to get Argyle relegated to the lowest division and of those 4 at least Peter Reid had a massive points deduction, unpaid players and forced fire sales of talent as an excuse.

If you think having a higher win ratio against teams like Barnet and Accrington than against teams like Derby or Nottingham and Forest makes a manager 'more successful' then presumably the next England manager should be whoever gets the highest win ratio... Even if that's in the Evostick leagues?

By your own barometer, promotions vs relegations, Adams is in the top few percent. He officially achieved a promotion and zero relegations.

Haha only someone with their nose firmly ensconced in Adams would say that relegation wasn't his.
Hey guyyyyys, guyyyyys, can't we all just get along and be friends? Mmmmm? Yeahhhh? Yeahhhh!

iu

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Interesting that the Morecambe fan says that DAs post match interviews are” refreshingly honest”
I always thought he went out of his way to’spin’ his particular view of the game

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
He's definitely not the worst manager we have ever had.

Although he is the manager I'd least like to share a coffee with. As others have said, he is a very easy man to dislike.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Stuart House":1zb3g3iw said:

Although he is the manager I'd least like to share a coffee with. As others have said, he is a very easy man to dislike.

Tony Pulis was not exactly the most clubable manager to grace Home Park, with whom to share a pint of Skinners Knocker, but to say he was a poor manager based on his personality, would be outrageous. I think we ought to move on from being critical of DA and look forward rather than backward.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Stuart House":1qkdr4g3 said:

Having spent time with him away from the club I thought he was a good guy. As soon as he stepped into a football stadium though he became a different character. I'm sure in time he'll get a mention in a few autobiographies.

Jan 29, 2020
philevs":dvszq5is said:
I found Adams’ team’s style of play so dispiriting to watch, and his explanations of what had gone wrong so boorish, that I voted with my feet and simply stopped going to watch. Simply wasn’t prepared to spend my money on such poor fare.
I was delighted when Simon Hallett stepped in and he departed, the win in the final match under Nance was so refreshing with the different attitude clearly evident, and the change for the better ever since has just continued.
Now it’s fun to go to Argyle again.
What he said

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Derek was a good man, a bit intense but a good man but as Bob said, when he put his football head on he could be a bit of an obsessive.

I really thought when he came in he was to be a our SAF but sadly it wasn't to be.

I'll always be glad he did what he did for us though.

Oct 20, 2015
Maybe I represent the majority of Argyle fans when I say I liked Adams when we were winning - or more accurately I could put up with anyone if the results kept coming in. For me it was absolutely heartbreaking going to Wembley and watching our beloved team barely break sweat capitulating to Wimbledon. After that, for me, Adams was guilty until proven innocent and even with the following season's promotion I was fuming that we'd handed the title to Pompey.

Then towards the end of last season it was obvious things were awry and with hindsight (it's so easy being a fan!) Adams should have gone sooner - many of us wanted him to. I suppose it's a measure of his character that he left under a cloud, after a disastrous result in a crucial game, and didn't speak to the press. Next thing we knew, Nance was in charge.

Yes we're all enjoying a good run of form at the moment, and yes I'm happy that promotion back to L1 is within sight, but the calamity of relegation cannot be underestimated and we should be playing in L1 this season anyway. We weren't favourites for the drop until right at the end of 18/19 season when things went wrong all at once.

I can't wait to hear Adams' post-match interview if we win on Saturday, and I will put money on him saying, "we were the better side".

May 8, 2011
slingsby_pobble":14xavaop said:
Maybe I represent the majority of Argyle fans when I say I liked Adams when we were winning - or more accurately I could put up with anyone if the results kept coming in. For me it was absolutely heartbreaking going to Wembley and watching our beloved team barely break sweat capitulating to Wimbledon. After that, for me, Adams was guilty until proven innocent and even with the following season's promotion I was fuming that we'd handed the title to Pompey.

Then towards the end of last season it was obvious things were awry and with hindsight (it's so easy being a fan!) Adams should have gone sooner - many of us wanted him to. I suppose it's a measure of his character that he left under a cloud, after a disastrous result in a crucial game, and didn't speak to the press. Next thing we knew, Nance was in charge.

Yes we're all enjoying a good run of form at the moment, and yes I'm happy that promotion back to L1 is within sight, but the calamity of relegation cannot be underestimated and we should be playing in L1 this season anyway. We weren't favourites for the drop until right at the end of 18/19 season when things went wrong all at once.

I can't wait to hear Adams' post-match interview if we win on Saturday, and I will put money on him saying, "we were the better side".

Personally I think he will mention the large disparity in the budgets of the 2 clubs and how much more Argyle’s budget is this year compared to when he got us promoted.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
IJN":vvae7uxt said:
Derek was a good man, a bit intense but a good man but as Bob said, when he put his football head on he could be a bit of an obsessive.

I really thought when he came in he was to be a our SAF but sadly it wasn't to be.

I'll always be glad he did what he did for us though.

Ian, at the risk of exposing my total ignorance and lack of street cred I have been desperately trying to work out what SAF means. I even Googled it. The result was 'Single Asian Female' but something tells me that was not what you intended. Totally perplexed I can only assume that 'SAF' is the opposite of 'north' for the likes of Lundun Cabbie? :lol: