Morecambe v Plymouth Argyle - game OFF | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Morecambe v Plymouth Argyle - game OFF

Jul 14, 2008
HC Green":3oqspxs6 said:
slingsby_pobble":3oqspxs6 said:
Maybe I represent the majority of Argyle fans when I say I liked Adams when we were winning - or more accurately I could put up with anyone if the results kept coming in. For me it was absolutely heartbreaking going to Wembley and watching our beloved team barely break sweat capitulating to Wimbledon. After that, for me, Adams was guilty until proven innocent and even with the following season's promotion I was fuming that we'd handed the title to Pompey.

Then towards the end of last season it was obvious things were awry and with hindsight (it's so easy being a fan!) Adams should have gone sooner - many of us wanted him to. I suppose it's a measure of his character that he left under a cloud, after a disastrous result in a crucial game, and didn't speak to the press. Next thing we knew, Nance was in charge.

Yes we're all enjoying a good run of form at the moment, and yes I'm happy that promotion back to L1 is within sight, but the calamity of relegation cannot be underestimated and we should be playing in L1 this season anyway. We weren't favourites for the drop until right at the end of 18/19 season when things went wrong all at once.

I can't wait to hear Adams' post-match interview if we win on Saturday, and I will put money on him saying, "we were the better side".

Personally I think he will mention the large disparity in the budgets of the 2 clubs and how much more Argyleā€™s budget is this year compared to when he got us promoted.
Iā€™m sure itā€™s true that Adams had a smaller budget but he also inherited a play off team. Much of Loweā€™s superior budget was already committed to sub standard players that Adams signed. I think itā€™s fair to say Lowe has made a silk purse from a sowā€™s ear when it comes to our defence for example. Last seasonā€™s defence was the the worst I have seen in nearly 30 years of supporting Argyle and the personnel is much the same this year due to the contracts Adams offered them.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes the defence is exactly the same apart from a different system, new goalie, 2 new fullbacks and a centre half who only played a handful of games last season. But apart from that exactly the same!

Jul 14, 2008
Canavan, Sawyer and Wootton were terrible last year. Im not talking about the goalkeeper (although Adams also signed on loan the worst keeper Iā€™ve ever seen), Iā€™m talking about the sheer number of mistakes the defence made. Yes the system is different but surely that is to Loweā€™s credit. We donā€™t really play with full backs as you well know, they are effectively wingers who track back when we lose possession.

Jul 12, 2004
This is always the first fixture that goes into the diary. When we were in League 1 it was Fleetwood.

Morecambe is one of my favourite places and I always stay overnight. Apart from the magnificent views to the Lake District it has the most amazing second hand bookshop. I always manage to find a good bit of entertainment (not always possible in Plymouth).

I will be asking Morecambe fans what they think of Derek.

Jul 12, 2004
Herts_Green":3sei7zfw said:
Canavan, Sawyer and Wootton were terrible last year. Im not talking about the goalkeeper (although Adams also signed on loan the worst keeper Iā€™ve ever seen), Iā€™m talking about the sheer number of mistakes the defence made. Yes the system is different but surely that is to Loweā€™s credit. We donā€™t really play with full backs as you well know, they are effectively wingers who track back when we lose possession.

I really wish they would track back!!!!!!

Aug 5, 2015
Wooton is the centre half who only played a handful of games last season. Itā€™s a Pasoti myth that he was an Adams failure. The centre half who really failed to step up to the plate and let us down last season was Edwards.

Mark58

ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Welwyn Pilgrim":2xvvj166 said:
Try Sir Alex Ferguson

Have I been whooshed here?

Absolutely not, WP - sorry! :) I genuinely could not work out what 'SAF' was but it makes perfect sense now. Cheers. :thumbs:

Bonzo":dh0edpzz said:
This is always the first fixture that goes into the diary. When we were in League 1 it was Fleetwood.

Morecambe is one of my favourite places and I always stay overnight. Apart from the magnificent views to the Lake District it has the most amazing second hand bookshop. I always manage to find a good bit of entertainment (not always possible in Plymouth).

Bonzo - Staying overnight as well and we'll be looking for some live music or somewhere lively Saturday night. Any recommendations? Cheers :scarf:

justanotherfan

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
HC Green":bpdlxarg said:
slingsby_pobble":bpdlxarg said:
Maybe I represent the majority of Argyle fans when I say I liked Adams when we were winning - or more accurately I could put up with anyone if the results kept coming in. For me it was absolutely heartbreaking going to Wembley and watching our beloved team barely break sweat capitulating to Wimbledon. After that, for me, Adams was guilty until proven innocent and even with the following season's promotion I was fuming that we'd handed the title to Pompey.

Then towards the end of last season it was obvious things were awry and with hindsight (it's so easy being a fan!) Adams should have gone sooner - many of us wanted him to. I suppose it's a measure of his character that he left under a cloud, after a disastrous result in a crucial game, and didn't speak to the press. Next thing we knew, Nance was in charge.

Yes we're all enjoying a good run of form at the moment, and yes I'm happy that promotion back to L1 is within sight, but the calamity of relegation cannot be underestimated and we should be playing in L1 this season anyway. We weren't favourites for the drop until right at the end of 18/19 season when things went wrong all at once.

I can't wait to hear Adams' post-match interview if we win on Saturday, and I will put money on him saying, "we were the better side".

Personally I think he will mention the large disparity in the budgets of the 2 clubs and how much more Argyleā€™s budget is this year compared to when he got us promoted.

It`s not only what you have to spend but also how you spend it.

May 8, 2011
You really didnā€™t understand did you, Adams got Argyle promoted on a shoestring of a budget, we will get promoted this year on a budget with the Chairman/Owner telling people that the current level of expenditure is unsustainable in League 2.

Jun 27, 2019
You have single-handedly turned me from pro-Derek to anti-Derek.

I now dislike the guy purely based on your campaign to have him canonised. Give it a rest - you're sullying his legacy.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
HC Green":30i9s8ji said:
You really didnā€™t understand did you, Adams got Argyle promoted on a shoestring of a budget, we will get promoted this year on a budget with the Chairman/Owner telling people that the current level of expenditure is unsustainable in League 2.

Are you saying that Argyle should refuse promotion this year because it is not 'fair'?? :crazy:

We have the Manager we have, with the budget we have, with the Chairman we have.
I love it because I'm an Argyle Supporter (You may have to google that).

Last Season we had the Manager we had, with the budget we had, the Chairman we had was new and reluctant to act.
I was still an Argyle Supporter (q.v.) but I hated it!! :furious:

Jul 12, 2004
Aaron D.":h1qka72g said:
Bonzo":h1qka72g said:

Bonzo - Staying overnight as well and we'll be looking for some live music or somewhere lively Saturday night. Any recommendations? Cheers :scarf:

I am actually staying tomorrow night. There is a place on the front called The Platform that I am going to tomorrow. Not sure what is on Saturday,

justanotherfan

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
HC Green":1uiiblbl said:

In that case it will be unsustainable in League One as gates will not increase greatly and lose the patronising attitude.

Bonzo":10x9dpeo said:
Aaron D.":10x9dpeo said:
Bonzo":10x9dpeo said:

I am actually staying tomorrow night. There is a place on the front called The Platform that I am going to tomorrow. Not sure what is on Saturday,
The Platform is a great venue, it is the old Morecambe station building. They have some good acts there. There is a bar and somewhere to eat. Across the road is the Midland Hotel, also a great place to eat and drink, but pricey.