New defence required | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New defence required

Cdp

Oct 18, 2014
Wrexham
See if paul wotton would be interested in a coaches roll within the setup. Then a couple of ugly tough tackling no non sense
Defenders. :scarf:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Wooldridge":3ji4natl said:
There is no player in midfield or defence that I call a get stuck in kind of player, we are too powderpuff now. Sarcevic was the difference last season. Can't have Wooton or Canavan back in defence again, just too slow and always an accident waiting to happen.

It didn't get talked about much in the summer, but Josh Grant not signing permanently was a blow. He added a much needed presence in defensive midfield. Fornah is as good on the ball, but doesn't provide the same defensive output.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Nobby":1t0u4uw2 said:
Steve Wooldridge":1t0u4uw2 said:
There is no player in midfield or defence that I call a get stuck in kind of player, we are too powderpuff now. Sarcevic was the difference last season. Can't have Wooton or Canavan back in defence again, just too slow and always an accident waiting to happen.

It didn't get talked about much in the summer, but Josh Grant not signing permanently was a blow. He added a much needed presence in defensive midfield. Fornah is as good on the ball, but doesn't provide the same defensive output.

Decent point. Josh Grant was a defender of course and so the problem with him was that whilst he bolstered things defensively when playing at CM he didn't offer enough MIDFIELD presence. Perhaps he would have developed that side of things in his game over time.

Dec 16, 2019
I think this is my first post but I couldn't think of a better thread for me to jump in...

This defence is seriously worrying. The step up to League 1 from League 2 is a lot bigger than most people give it credit for. One of those people was Derek Adams and I worry that another is our current manager Ryan Lowe.

Some of the attacking players that ply their trade in this league are exceptional, even last season we had Ivan Toney banging them in at this level.

I don't have any doubts in Ryan Lowes attacking nouse. I can see that he wants this team to play on the front foot and do some damage. As a fan thats exciting and sexy. But... to not recognise that players like Wooton, Canavan and Aimson (injury prone) will comp up short at this level is negligent for a manager.

I understand that budgets are an unknown at this stage so you can't just throw money at this problem. What we do need to do until January is tighten this up in every smart way possible. We have lost our momentum, so we do need to reassess what we have and how we can get back on track.

What would you do until Jan and we can look at new recruits?

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Cdp82":2v4u1rbm said:
See if paul wotton would be interested in a coaches roll within the setup. Then a couple of ugly tough tackling no non sense
Defenders. :scarf:

Wotton won't be back now if Coughlan could be persuaded down we could potentially have Lowes replacement as well

Apr 5, 2008
Need a new Goalkeeper at least two of those goals were preventable,the shot was an easy save if he stood up instead of dropping down when the shot came in ,then just stands looking at the ball for the next goal :lol:

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Wooldridge":190snoov said:

Bring back Songo'o! What was the song again?

Mar 14, 2009
People think January we will change personnel.

I’d like to know how, when we have no match day income. That’s why this season will be tough. Lowe made his choices and stuck with Wootton and Canavan when they weren’t even good league two defenders.

Now we just have the muddle through the rest of the season with the current squad with maybe the odd change if we say perhaps depense of Abrahams services as lm not sure what he was brought in for.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
moles40":1ldsbx1v said:
Need a new Goalkeeper at least two of those goals were preventable,the shot was an easy save if he stood up instead of dropping down when the shot came in ,then just stands looking at the ball for the next goal :lol:

So to break this down:

First goal - forces the man wide which is all he can do other than foul him and get sent off.

Second - unmarked on the edge of the box, struck with power right into the top corner. Great finish.

Third - I honestly cannot believe anyone thinks the third goal was Cooper’s fault. It was Wootton’s 100%. Wootton quite literally moves out the way of the ball when it was obvious he was about to head it. I repeat: he literally let the ball go into the goal.

Fourth - Cooper at fault for the pass to Moore. That’s an experience issue. Knowing when to clear and when to play out.

Cooper has made mistakes this season for sure and has been deserving of bits of the criticism, but I’m getting pretty tired of one of our youth players take a bashing every game for the shortcomings of the defence. It’s beggars belief that after years of the club getting bashed for not repeating the success of the Exeter academy we’ve now got people queuing up to bash one of our brightest young talents.

Cooper has a lot of the attributes to be a top keeper and he’s only going to get better. Especially if we put some competent defenders ahead of him.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
M Cooper has had his chance and now blown it. I thought McCormick would have started tuesday night or even last Saturday to be fair but he didn't. I would be amazed if he's not starting on Saturday!

Jan 27, 2012
Nobby":26typ4kg said:
Cooper has a lot of the attributes to be a top keeper and he’s only going to get better. Especially if we put some competent defenders ahead of him.

Thats the rhetoric from the club, but I think the real test is whether Cooper can handle league football or not. Matt Macey was presumably highly rated in reserve football, but got found out when he played in the real league. With a young goalkeeper like Alan Nicholls you knew from the very start that he had what it took to be a good goalkeeper.

Sep 6, 2006
argyleforever":nxb4591k said:
M Cooper has had his chance and now blown it. I thought McCormick would have started tuesday night or even last Saturday to be fair but he didn't. I would be amazed if he's not starting on Saturday!

Can you explain how he has 'blown it'? He has made SOME mistakes. Not many I would say. Name a League 1 player who doesn't make loads of mistakes.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
I feel he's had his chance, but not a very fair chance as i feel he should have been put out on loan for a season before he was given his chance.

Luke didn't come back to us to be sat on the bench as a second choice keeper.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cooper is good enough to be where he is.

The defence around him aren’t and he’s getting little support or encouragement by them.

I’d swap canavan, Wootton and Aimson together for 1 decent commanding CB who can bang this defence together and lead.

We are lacking a voice and a leader on the pitch.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Superluke deserves a chance to prove how good he is at this level....Saturday could be the day....