New defence required | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New defence required

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
We need to see how Luke fairs with our defence to make a judgement on Cooper. If they’re a shambles like now we can say that it’s down to them, if they’re better organised maybe we need to give Cooper a bit more help.

Sep 6, 2006
argyleforever":1cz8xvmh said:
I feel he's had his chance, but not a very fair chance as i feel he should have been put out on loan for a season before he was given his chance.

Luke didn't come back to us to be sat on the bench as a second choice keeper.

But you haven't explained how he has 'blown it'......

Lowe made it clear at start of season that Cooper would be first choice so you are wrong on that too.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":380zl1vo said:
argyleforever":380zl1vo said:
I feel he's had his chance, but not a very fair chance as i feel he should have been put out on loan for a season before he was given his chance.

Luke didn't come back to us to be sat on the bench as a second choice keeper.

But you haven't explained how he has 'blown it'......

Lowe made it clear at start of season that Cooper would be first choice so you are wrong on that too.
You won’t convince him. He’s been campaigning against Mike Cooper since before the season started.
He pre-judged him.

Jul 6, 2011
Dont really understand why Mike Cooper is being held responsible when we all agree he has a mostly crap and definitely inconsistent defence in front guarding him and frankly I would throw Fornah in as being just not good enough, especially when you see average league 1 strikers stroll past him as if he isn't there.
I would suggest if MacLeod isn't available bring back Adam Randell from Torquay, he's been a revelation there and before anyone suggests the standard of the league I would just say remember Jephcott.
And mr Lowe put Noublè where he belongs, on the bench.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PL2 3DQ":1gqfgu9d said:
I think we miss the experience and leadership of Gary Sawyer. Watts is playing well but he's no leader.

Sawyer, Wootton, Canavan and Palmer had the third best defensive record and most number of clean sheets in League Two last season so you can see why Wootton and Canavan have been given a chance this season.

If you add in a rookie keeper, the absence of Sawyer and playing in a higher league against better strikers it's fair to say it's not working.

There's also the midfield which didn't help out. Fornah can have the odd good game but it seems our best defensive midfielder is Macleod who has somehow disappeared.

All of a sudden the January transfer window looks important.

I personally think Fornah is not good defensively. He goes in on a challenge sometimes and lets his man beat him (as was shown against Rochdale) leaving our defence exposed. Personally he only seems to pass backwards to a CB and rarely looks to play a forward ball. I’d quite like to see Reeves tried out at CDM as he seems decent in the table and often makes space for himself to pass through to our midfielders further forward. If played in a deeper holding midfield role I could quite easily see Reeves controlling quite a few matches using his style and skill.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Re the third goal, the ball went between Cooper and Wooton, there should have been a shout of "keeper's ball" from M Cooper,i'm sure LM would have made that call that even the ground mikes would have picked up,LM is always very vocal during games, or,maybe Wooton should have just hoofed the ball away just to make sure,either way poor from both players,shame as M Cooper played very well against Lincoln.

Oct 31, 2015
Tugboat":s2fv726g said:
Cooper is good enough to be where he is.

The defence around him aren’t and he’s getting little support or encouragement by them.

I’d swap canavan, Wootton and Aimson together for 1 decent commanding CB who can bang this defence together and lead.

We are lacking a voice and a leader on the pitch.

Tuggers don't you think though that the keeper should be that voice at the back? I think Coops will make it tbh but the one thing with Palmer last season that we didn't get with Macey and currently not getting from Coops is that leadership from the keeper. It's probably a youngster thing that will develop but I think the keeper controlling the backs is key as well

Not slating Coops as he will make it but with the clowns in front of him he has to be managed carefully before his confidence gets shot. Luckily he hasn't had the Demport behind him so far getting on his back maybe it's time for Luke to come in to relieve the pressure a little.

Apr 4, 2007
Grantham, Lincs
I think Tuesday night showed the lack of understanding and leadership at the back, after the goals there seemed to be a lot of people looking at others but no one taking responsibility.

My take on the whole match was that they thought the result was going to fall into their lap as Lowe said after the game 'you have to earn the right' And the low intensity/workrate around the team was evident, the apparently unhurried attitude and lack of runners opening up space often led to cheap possession being given to Rochdale in bad places.

The longer balls that crept in came back quickly putting pressure straight back on the defense, The managers comments about playing offside when we don't play offside did highlight dis-organisation in a constantly changing back line.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
We finished the latter minutes of the match on Tuesday night playing 4 at the back. I wonder if the manager has thoughts in his mind to alter the formation. Probably not, but you never know.

IF we do go three at the back v Ipswich, it has to be Watts, Opoku and Aimson.

Sep 6, 2006
rsp4":7e0bw8wo said:
Tugboat":7e0bw8wo said:
Cooper is good enough to be where he is.

The defence around him aren’t and he’s getting little support or encouragement by them.

I’d swap canavan, Wootton and Aimson together for 1 decent commanding CB who can bang this defence together and lead.

We are lacking a voice and a leader on the pitch.

Tuggers don't you think though that the keeper should be that voice at the back? I think Coops will make it tbh but the one thing with Palmer last season that we didn't get with Macey and currently not getting from Coops is that leadership from the keeper. It's probably a youngster thing that will develop but I think the keeper controlling the backs is key as well

Not slating Coops as he will make it but with the clowns in front of him he has to be managed carefully before his confidence gets shot. Luckily he hasn't had the Demport behind him so far getting on his back maybe it's time for Luke to come in to relieve the pressure a little.

Don't see why the Demport would get on his back as he has done little wrong. The Grandstand maybe! Pretty sure Lowe will stick with him. I agree he may need to be more vocal but that's part of the learning process.

Sep 2, 2008
I think Cooper will start on Saturday. From memory he has much better distribution when the ball is out of his hands than Luke which fits in with how Lowe wants to play. Its a bit like when Hart was eased out at Man City. Guardiola wanted someone who could actually play and pass out from the back. Think Luke is a punt it down the pitch kinda keeper. The problem with our back 3 as far as I see it is that they are simply not talking to each other. There is no leadership. No one in the back 3 appears to be actually telling one of the others to pick up a specific opponent. They all seem to think that someone else is going to pick the player(s) up. If the opposition get beyond our WB then the DM needs to get across to cover that which means the centre player of the back 3 may need to step into the gap thats created in the middle to pick up any runners coming through there. Lowe says that they are always working on their shape and always learning etc...seems to me that perhaps the defence needs a new teacher

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I get the distribution thing in the premier league. We don’t have the players to receive it and not lose it in midfield though.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Apparently not popular but I think that Lloyd Jones would be an improvement, has height and is good in the tackle.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
justanotherfan":3vujtujn said:
Apparently not popular but I think that Lloyd Jones would be an improvement, has height and is good in the tackle.

I think he’d improve us.