New defence required | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New defence required

Jul 12, 2016
justanotherfan":24iqvefr said:
Apparently not popular but I think that Lloyd Jones would be an improvement, has height and is good in the tackle.
No better than we have already got. Didn't impress when he played for us before. There must be better available out there.
Would prefer us to go for experience this time.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Do we have the pounds, shillings and pence for experience and Jones has more experience than Opoku and Watts combined.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Emu":1yvonnkq said:
We finished the latter minutes of the match on Tuesday night playing 4 at the back. I wonder if the manager has thoughts in his mind to alter the formation. Probably not, but you never know.

IF we do go three at the back v Ipswich, it has to be Watts, Opoku and Aimson.

I agree with that.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Daz":3ee2du42 said:
justanotherfan":3ee2du42 said:
Apparently not popular but I think that Lloyd Jones would be an improvement, has height and is good in the tackle.

I think he’d improve us.

I do as well.

Jun 27, 2019
Why would he improve us but apparently no other club in the entire Football League?

If he wasn't from Plymouth would he even be on our radar?

Jul 12, 2016
justanotherfan":3eahje9i said:
Do we have the pounds, shillings and pence for experience and Jones has more experience than Opoku and Watts combined.
A more experienced defender is not necessarily going to cost any more than a up and coming youngster. IMO we need an old head on board who can lead ,cajole and steady the ship.

Apr 1, 2009
WoodsyGreen":t5thsamz said:
Why would he improve us but apparently no other club in the entire Football League?

Of course he wouldn't be. He didn't improve us 2 seasons ago, so why would he now?

The idea that he is experienced because he's got more experience than Watts and Opoku combined is pretty weak. 70 odd league appearances for 7 lower league clubs over 5 years doesn't suggest that he's ever going to fulfil his early potential.

Seriously, if we bring someone in he has got to be better (as well as more experienced) than what we have. We're not short of defenders, we're short of defenders capable of consistency and leadership. If we can't get, or can't afford, someone better then we've got to work with what we have.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
We all know that some players thrive under different circumstances. They go from ‘terrible’ to great players just by being in different surroundings.

It’s worth a punt, what we have isn’t working.

Jul 12, 2016
Daz":2ah7hzll said:
We all know that some players thrive under different circumstances. They go from ‘terrible’ to great players just by being in different surroundings.

That's the whole point.We cannot afford to "take a punt "as you put it. Better to spend the little we have on a proven defender than one who failed to impress when he played for us and hasn't done anything since. Incidentally I think you have got it wrong ,terrible players rarely become great but great players can be terrible.

Dec 16, 2019
WoodsyGreen":1iy1gto4 said:

FINALLY!!

This fascination with ex-players and managers is bonkers. In my time as an Argyle fan i've seen it with Wotton, Mariner, Sturrock, Carey etc etc etc FOREVER

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
oldage":1kg816nx said:
Daz":1kg816nx said:

That's the whole point.We cannot afford to "take a punt "as you put it. Better to spend the little we have on a proven defender than one who failed to impress when he played for us and hasn't done anything since. Incidentally I think you have got it wrong ,terrible players rarely become great but great players can be terrible.

I saw Yannick Bolasie play for us. He could hardly kick the ball away at Yeovil one year. :thumbup:

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
RickyPlows":21ylss5y said:
WoodsyGreen":21ylss5y said:

FINALLY!!

This fascination with ex-players and managers is bonkers. In my time as an Argyle fan i've seen it with Wotton, Mariner, Sturrock, Carey etc etc etc FOREVER

It’s the same at every club. Giggs, lampard and solksjaer are examples of premier league teams.

Aug 5, 2016
Daz":2ymz5lzj said:
I get the distribution thing in the premier league. We don’t have the players to receive it and not lose it in midfield though.

Of course we do, we play fantastic football at times. There were spells against Portsmouth I could hardly believe this team was an average League One team. Spraying Scholes like passes, controlling them, playing passes to each other while sprinting at full speed. There was some exceptional technical ability at times for a team in the middle of the table in the middle of the football pyramid.

Our problem recently has been not being able to deal with the high press but it doesn't mean our players don't have the ability to receive passes. It's a tactical issue. For my money our midfielders have very good technical ability, some games we look fantastic and other games we get battered. They don't lose ability from game to game like that, same as the defenders - it's form, it's tactics, it's confidence but not lack of ability IMO.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":roif8dtf said:
Daz":roif8dtf said:
I get the distribution thing in the premier league. We don’t have the players to receive it and not lose it in midfield though.

Of course we do, we play fantastic football at times. There were spells against Portsmouth I could hardly believe this team was an average League One team. Spraying Scholes like passes, controlling them, playing passes to each other while sprinting at full speed. There was some exceptional technical ability at times for a team in the middle of the table in the middle of the football pyramid.

Our problem recently has been not being able to deal with the high press but it doesn't mean our players don't have the ability to receive passes. It's a tactical issue. For my money our midfielders have very good technical ability, some games we look fantastic and other games we get battered. They don't lose ability from game to game like that, same as the defenders - it's form, it's tactics, it's confidence but not lack of ability IMO.

And then he woke up.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":1jmao3if said:
Knibbsworth":1jmao3if said:
Daz":1jmao3if said:

And then he woke up.

:lol: Got to say I agree. Other teams hard press to put our players under pressure. When under pressure they miscontrol it and we concede. It doesn’t work in the prem against Man City as they are far better players under pressure and can take the ball with a player on them and spin away or pick a first time pass.... that’s why they play in the prem and our defence doesn’t.