Paul Stapleton, should he remain? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Stapleton, should he remain?

Should Paul Stapleton remain on the board?

• Yes. Local man and all that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. We've had enough.

• Don't care.

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2009
I've posted on other threads why I think Stapleton should go, and don't want to do so again. Some won't agree, fair enough, but it baffles me why anyone should actively want him to stay.

The 'local man' argument is presumably one reason. I too would like a locally based Argyle fan at the helm, or at least on a new board, but why does that have to be Stapleton. Is he really the best there is locally? There are some very capable Argyle supporting businessmen living locally who, whilst not wanting to invest significantly might be prevailed upon to front a new Board. Is the "he did ok at first when he was last chairman", really enough?

It's not as if Stapleton is going to contribute significant finance. We know he is not massively wealthy, and it is believed that the same applies to Ridsdale. So if, as many believe they will, a Stapleton/Ridsdale alliance gain control, they will require backing presumably from non-Argyle supporting newcomers. Stapleton didn't cover himself in glory last time he sought external investors. There is also the fact that a major reason that Stapleton wants to stay is (presumably) to recoup some of his losses, so he starts from a negative position rather than with a clean slate.

So, genuine question, if you actively want Stapleton to stay, please set out your reasons. The one situation in which I might be prepared to accept Stapleton would be if he (once again) fronted a consortium of genuine Argyle supporting investors.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I voted yes because I don't want to board to be full of people who don't care.
We've had enough of them. Don't think for a minute that Stapleton doesn't care. He made some big mistakes - after getting it right on and off the pitch for several years - and has seemingly been negligent almost to the point of incompetence. But if he would just come out and admit it, eat a bit of humble pie and then work hard to put right what he got wrong, then I'd keep him on. Better the devil you know, or at least the one we used to know.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
He has all but admitted that he & others took their eye off the ball. To me a person in his position should know better so is equally to blame, therefore he must be prepared to take a dose of the same medicine.

Put them all out with the trash

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
It pains me to say NO because he was there with the rest of us, literally, celebrating our promotions and I really felt he was one of 'us'.

But like so many before him, the power he held and the perceived money making opportunity that confronted him was his undoing. He sold out.

Paul, enjoy your new house in Slapton because if this club - Plymouth Argyle Football Club - dies you have some cheek to show you face in Plymouth again.

PS : And if the rumours of Administration are true, YOU, and the rest of the board, should hold your heads in (further) shame if the CHARITY PASDT that you have recently borrowed monies off have lost that money.

:twisted:

Feb 26, 2008
A village
Mark_Smith":3p364xj4 said:
We've had enough of them. Don't think for a minute that Stapleton doesn't care. He made some big mistakes - after getting it right on and off the pitch for several years - and has seemingly been negligent almost to the point of incompetence. But if he would just come out and admit it, eat a bit of humble pie and then work hard to put right what he got wrong, then I'd keep him on. Better the devil you know, or at least the one we used to know.

I agree with the highlighted part.

However it's also the bit that irritates me the most. Paul Stapleton helped save the club in it's hour of need in the dark days of Dan McCauley; he is a fan and has the club at heart. Furthermore, he had the trust of the fans, he was the conscience of the fans. He was the one that we looked to, to make us feel secure in the knowledge that the club was in safe hands.

Sorry Mr Stapleton, time for you to go. When it really mattered you took your eye off the ball.

B

blenks

Village Green":25rpw6p3 said:
Mark_Smith":25rpw6p3 said:

I agree with the highlighted part.

However it's also the bit that irritates me the most. Paul Stapleton helped save the club in it's hour of need in the dark days of Dan McCauley; he is a fan and has the club at heart. Furthermore, he had the trust of the fans, he was the conscience of the fans. He was the one that we looked to, to make us feel secure in the knowledge that the club was in safe hands.

Sorry Mr Stapleton, time for you to go. When it really mattered you took your eye off the ball.

He has that in the commercial sense now

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
I've always thought the Americans got it right when they decreed that eight years was quite enough for any president.

M

Mike Hughes

No.

He showed in his last 2 years (as chairman) that he doesn't care about the fans with the silence that came from him. He's been silent ever since and has been all over the failed WC Bid. He's now only concerned with his own self-interest.

B

blenks

You know what, in these terribly difficult times for fans when emotions run so understandably high, there should be a separate thread catering for the sometimes quite excellent gallows humour that so many here are truly gifted at and so many of us need.

P

pieface

HMMM...

So Stapes eventually gets rid of the Japs, New world & the other 2 local boys and ends up still involved with the running of the club, this person has done the most damage to the club and invested the least.

Jeez you can't make it up!

Nice holiday home thought Stapes...are you renting it out to other Argyle fans at discount rates (you know run by fans for fans and all that ;( )