Paul Stapleton, should he remain? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Paul Stapleton, should he remain?

Should Paul Stapleton remain on the board?

• Yes. Local man and all that.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. We've had enough.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 24, 2009
Peter_dout":8sm17ygs said:
No.

He's oput comparitively 'beans' at the outset, needed Nic Warren to write a big personal cheque to prevent McCauley reneging on the sale of the club.

Clumsily undermined all of his managers vis-a-vis his cosy relationship wit Luggy.

Totally underwhelming decision to bring Sturrock back to the club in the hope he could poo miracles with no cash. Then undermine him.

Him and his wife have used the club to embellish their status and then bought themselves a nice holiday home with the proceeds from the sale of their shares.

His wife and daughters antics over thumbsgate.

No again, in case you didn't get that.

That's the one that sticks in my mind despite being the smallest of matters in the scheme of things. A sign the position was taken for granted. That and the choice of Kagami for outside investment do it for me. He did some good along the way, and I don't hold any ill will to him, but the club needs a change.

L

Laughter My Ploy

Peter_dout":hqmbeec2 said:
No.

He's oput comparitively 'beans' at the outset, needed Nic Warren to write a big personal cheque to prevent McCauley reneging on the sale of the club.

Clumsily undermined all of his managers vis-a-vis his cosy relationship wit Luggy.

Totally underwhelming decision to bring Sturrock back to the club in the hope he could poo miracles with no cash. Then undermine him.

Him and his wife have used the club to embellish their status and then bought themselves a nice holiday home with the proceeds from the sale of their shares.

His wife and daughters antics over thumbsgate.

No again, in case you didn't get that.

I don't think he'll be asking you for a reference or for tea at Stapleton Manor any time soon :)

C

Cult Of Personality

From the film Austin Powers Goldmember

How about NO you crazy dutch bastad

Jul 21, 2004
Richie":3a8yrkzs said:
I voted stay,when he was chairman fans slated him for not spending money , he sought investment through the Kagami,Todd and Synan mould,it didnt work out.
Im worried as every other fan is,in my opinion Stapleton was sound until we put pressure on him to find money.So the guilty party could be us all in thinking we are bigger than we actually are,our gates reflect that.

COME ON YOU GREENS

Totally agree!

When he was running the club properly and we were only spending what we could afford the guy wasn't given any thanks if fact he was being absolutely slaughtered for it!

The majority on Pasoti were always criticising him for not finding wealthy investors and selling out to them although there were a few of us who warned of the dangers of doing so but we were usually shouted down.

Since the new world took over it's hard to know how much involvement Stapes has had and I think it would be understandable if he wanted to take a back seat anyways given the little thanks he was given in the past.

When a club finds itself in the kind of trouble ours does there's always a variety reasons and people to blame and I would include the people of Plymouth who didn't bother to support the club when we actually were a pretty damn decent side and doing well.

Apr 1, 2008
Saltash
No, didn't like the way he put his personal interests ahead of those of the club in buying Plymouth Sports Club with his two boardroom buddies to feather their own nests. That would have made a first rate training facility / football academy.

For an Accountant to be associated with the kind of financial mismanagement that we have seen over the last couple of years, it's a wonder he hasn't been struck off.

Appears to be clinging to the power that has corrupted him like a notorious Egyptian President!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Argylegames":3uukufx9 said:
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No
Don Logan? :)

Jul 29, 2010
James_Dennis":imdzk92a said:
Richie":imdzk92a said:
Im worried as every other fan is,in my opinion Stapleton was sound until we put pressure on him to find money.So the guilty party could be us all in thinking we are bigger than we actually are,our gates reflect that.

COME ON YOU GREENS

Agree.

Agree totally :appl:.

The only perrenial flaw in our collective character bigger than our inability to generate a decent home crowd is our collective willingness to turn on our own.

He's been villified for daring to try his best for Argyle and give his fellow fans what they were indignatly demanding from him at the time, they need to have a long look at themselves for that and not point fingers. All he did wrong was to try and keep the ball rolling and got taken in by the NWO...... just the same as we all did.

Jul 29, 2010
mark199":h5ifbte0 said:
Richie":h5ifbte0 said:
I voted stay,when he was chairman fans slated him for not spending money , he sought investment through the Kagami,Todd and Synan mould,it didnt work out.

COME ON YOU GREENS

Totally agree!

When he was running the club properly and we were only spending what we could afford the guy wasn't given any thanks if fact he was being absolutely slaughtered for it!

The majority on Pasoti were always criticising him for not finding wealthy investors and selling out to them although there were a few of us who warned of the dangers of doing so but we were usually shouted down.

Since the new world took over it's hard to know how much involvement Stapes has had and I think it would be understandable if he wanted to take a back seat anyways given the little thanks he was given in the past.

When a club finds itself in the kind of trouble ours does there's always a variety reasons and people to blame and I would include the people of Plymouth who didn't bother to support the club when we actually were a pretty damn decent side and doing well.

Ooh that's good, definately scratching my itch there Marky.

Instead of blaming ONE son of Plymouth for all our ills all the other sons of Plymouth should look at themselves for not packing out Home Park when 'he who then disgraced himself' was providing mouthwatering football at the business end of the CCC with classy players and a real purpose.

With another 8,000-10,000 on the gate each home game the money would have been coming in to cover the outlay he made in 'going for it'. He did his part, he went for it, it was the city's failure to follow suit that see's us where we are now.

Funny innit how Stapleton is given all the blame for falling away from 4th in the CCC but none of the credit for getting us there :roll:.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
pontypoolgreen":3dru8x4g said:
I don't care.

Funnily enough exactly how I voted. I'm not joining in with the demonising of the man but on the other hand he's had his time.

Aug 26, 2008
Guernsey
If Stapleton's retention on the board stands in the way of any potential investment which could secure the long term future of the club, then he has to go.

Otherwise I would like to see him stay. Whilst he may not have the money to spur us on, I truly believe he has other attributes beneficial to the club

G

Green Lanes

X Isle":1vygqrrk said:
mark199":1vygqrrk said:
Richie":1vygqrrk said:

COME ON YOU GREENS

Totally agree!

Ooh that's good, definitely scratching my itch there Marky.

Instead of blaming ONE son of Plymouth for all our ills all the other sons of Plymouth should look at themselves for not packing out Home Park when 'he who then disgraced himself' was providing mouthwatering football at the business end of the CCC with classy players and a real purpose.

With another 8,000-10,000 on the gate each home game the money would have been coming in to cover the outlay he made in 'going for it'. He did his part, he went for it, it was the city's failure to follow suit that see's us where we are now.

Funny innit how Stapleton is given all the blame for falling away from 4th in the CCC but none of the credit for getting us there :roll:.

Agree with all the comments made by these posters.

It's nice to see that there is some common sense amongst the mass hysteria.

M

Miles

The one consistent thing in all of this.

Lets not forget the 'new world' walked into this pre made mess.

M

Miles

Emerald Green":1l9ekt0n said:
pre made mess.

What "pre made mess" might that be then?

As far as I can see the damage was done when Sturrock started his second spell, and was given an open cheque book to sign as many inadaquate players as he could get his hands on, at whatever wages they asked for.

That was before the board room changes.

The new lot have come in, tried to make money from the world cup, put money into the club whilst here, taken nothing out (so far as we know) and now that has failed they are predictably walking alone.

Had they not come on board I believe this situation would have come about sooner, as we've only got this far because of the WC.

I'm far from an insider or expert on this though, but thats my understanding.