Potential new signing today (Timmy Abraham - confirmed) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Potential new signing today (Timmy Abraham - confirmed)

Sep 22, 2020
the way the club is expanding on and off the pitch, i just hope the generous benefactor does not lose interest any time soon.

we have achieved little on the pitch with Mr Halletts funds so far since he took over. We are merely back where we started after one relegation and one promotion.

my post was simply a caution against unsustainable spending and expansion when experience suggests throwing money at the club achieves little in the long run. success is usually the luck of appointing a good manager who puts together a winning team. It is difficult to buy these things. in my time waiters, smith, warnock, sturrock, adams and lowe were good managers who merely blended a great team. money had little if anything to do with it.

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":48m5fir7 said:
oldage":48m5fir7 said:
philevs":48m5fir7 said:
Brechin Hedge":48m5fir7 said:
how many players does Lowe need?????

causes real concern that the club is feeling far too comforted by the Hallett £3.5m backup and overspending at a time when football is meant to be in crisis?

Looks like a serious thrust at promotion to me. If we’re well funded through the chairman’s input, and some other clubs aren’t, then why not?
Promotion push! What a sense of humour.

We're sitting in 8th place. We've made a good start. We've got a good manager, a great set up and a group who obviously play for the shirt and eachother. Personally I don't think we'll have quite enough to be promoted this season, however it's far from unthinkable, particularly when you consider Wycombe got themselves up last season, Oxford & Fleetwood nearly did and they sit below us.

It could be said that we have only played one team in form so far, mind you they lost 4-1 the week afterwards. Also after tomorrow we would have played 4 home games and only 2 away.
Perhaps like a few teams in all the leagues their current high position after only 5 games is because the fixture list has been kind.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":129qe593 said:
Cobi Budge":129qe593 said:
oldage":129qe593 said:
philevs":129qe593 said:
Brechin Hedge":129qe593 said:

causes real concern that the club is feeling far too comforted by the Hallett £3.5m backup and overspending at a time when football is meant to be in crisis?

Looks like a serious thrust at promotion to me. If we’re well funded through the chairman’s input, and some other clubs aren’t, then why not?

We're sitting in 8th place. We've made a good start. We've got a good manager, a great set up and a group who obviously play for the shirt and eachother. Personally I don't think we'll have quite enough to be promoted this season, however it's far from unthinkable, particularly when you consider Wycombe got themselves up last season, Oxford & Fleetwood nearly did and they sit below us.

It could be said that we have only played one team in form so far, mind you they lost 4-1 the week afterwards. Also after tomorrow we would have played 4 home games and only 2 away.
Perhaps like a few teams in all the leagues their current high position after only 5 games is because the fixture list has been kind.

Would you include Morecambe in that HC ?
With reference to Argyle's start , they can only play the teams they play , time will tell if the 1.6 ppg will continue , however even you should be able to agree the signs are encouraging .

Sep 6, 2006
DartingtonPilgrim":23glvvqz said:
HC Green":23glvvqz said:
Cobi Budge":23glvvqz said:
oldage":23glvvqz said:
philevs":23glvvqz said:
Brechin Hedge":23glvvqz said:

Would you include Morecambe in that HC ?
With reference to Argyle's start , they can only play the teams they play , time will tell if the 1.6 ppg will continue , however even you should be able to agree the signs are encouraging .

Far too early to say anything is encouraging. Yet to see us play well. Struggled to beat a very poor Burton and against a very poor Wombles as well as losing to Orient. Don't see anything promising there.

Jul 12, 2016
Emu":3j9x4hrf said:
oldage":3j9x4hrf said:
Cobi Budge":3j9x4hrf said:
People when we aren't signing players: Why aren't we signing anyone? Grrrrr.

Those same people when we are signing players: Why are we signing so many players? Grrrrr.
Fact we are in a pandemic with no end in sight
Fact Hallett says he has paid his last bailout.
Fact Only eleven players +subs can play in a game
Fact RL appears to be signing players for the sake of it.
No wonder some fans are concerned.

Fact: 5 of these are loan players whose cost is most likely being paid in its majority by the parent club.
That is not a fact. You think the majority of their cost is being paid by the parent club.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
oldage":381noad5 said:
Emu":381noad5 said:
oldage":381noad5 said:
Cobi Budge":381noad5 said:
People when we aren't signing players: Why aren't we signing anyone? Grrrrr.

Those same people when we are signing players: Why are we signing so many players? Grrrrr.
Fact we are in a pandemic with no end in sight
Fact Hallett says he has paid his last bailout.
Fact Only eleven players +subs can play in a game
Fact RL appears to be signing players for the sake of it.
No wonder some fans are concerned.

Fact: 5 of these are loan players whose cost is most likely being paid in its majority by the parent club.
That is not a fact. You think the majority of their cost is being paid by the parent club.

Yes I do. Can you counteract that with more concrete evidence then?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":1k1al4p5 said:
Far too early to say anything is encouraging. Yet to see us play well. Struggled to beat a very poor Burton and against a very poor Wombles as well as losing to Orient. Don't see anything promising there.

I know you are a glass half empty man BG (or even a glass with a dribble in) but perhaps the positive is that we are not at our best but still 8th in the league?

Dec 9, 2017
I think this damn virus is having a negative affect on all of us. I live in the states and I understand it must be difficult being so close to the ground and not being able to watch the games. However, a win tomorrow could take us into the playoff positions, I will take that. Let's try to be positive! Hopefully, we will have a vaccine when we start our campaign in the Championship in late 2021 and we can actually see our team play!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Rob_GT4":1gntl1x5 said:
Steve Evans":1gntl1x5 said:
i can see telford being transferred.

Who would want him though?
That could be a question that will eventually leave you with egg on your face.
He is, potentially, very quick and may not be fully match fit after his hamstring problems last season.
I would hope that he will now be in a position to test his all out pace and that, if he is confident that his fitness problems are behind him, he will start scoring goals.

Aug 5, 2016
The positive with Telford is when not scoring he always seems to make himself good chances.

The negative with Telford is he always seems to miss good chances!

It depends which way you look at it. Is it mental? Will he net a couple, gain confidence, then not look back and score 20 goals by the end of the season.

Or does he keep spurning simple chances because he lacks composure and simply isn't that good?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Knibbsworth":2ngs1wef said:
The positive with Telford is when not scoring he always seems to make himself good chances.

The negative with Telford is he always seems to miss good chances!

It depends which way you look at it. Is it mental? Will he net a couple, gain confidence, then not look back and score 20 goals by the end of the season.

Or does he keep spurning simple chances because he lacks composure and simply isn't that good?

Agreed. He seems to get in good positions but just isn't clinical enough with his chances.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":aeru6axh said:
Rob_GT4":aeru6axh said:
Steve Evans":aeru6axh said:

He is, potentially, very quick and may not be fully match fit after his hamstring problems last season.
I would hope that he will now be in a position to test his all out pace and that, if he is confident that his fitness problems are behind him, he will start scoring goals.
I think hes a quality player that for one reason or another hasnt had the chance to have a prolonged run in the team. He has a lovely first touch, good close control, a quick turn and burst of pace. He shows for the ball and looks after it when he gets it. I would like him and Hardie to start.

Sep 6, 2006
Emu":990rdw8t said:
Balham_Green":990rdw8t said:

I know you are a glass half empty man BG (or even a glass with a dribble in) but perhaps the positive is that we are not at our best but still 8th in the league?

Means nothing after 5 games

Sep 6, 2006
Pottypilgrim":2w8wnypt said:
davie nine":2w8wnypt said:
Rob_GT4":2w8wnypt said:
Steve Evans":2w8wnypt said:

I think hes a quality player that for one reason or another hasnt had the chance to have a prolonged run in the team. He has a lovely first touch, good close control, a quick turn and burst of pace. He shows for the ball and looks after it when he gets it. I would like him and Hardie to start.

You think that combination would work? Who would win the headers, hold the ball up?