Potential new signing today (Timmy Abraham - confirmed) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Potential new signing today (Timmy Abraham - confirmed)

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I may be in a minority but I like Dom Telford and I think he’s been very unfortunate with injuries. A smart nippy striker. Also his goal against Leyton Orient in the Cup last season was exceptional.

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
I find it incredibly frustrating that despite the club doing well this forum can at times have such a negative focus, with some well documented perpetual naysayers. I find it baffling and a total disservice to the quiet majority that visit this site every day and put up with the negative carp being spouted.

Lets look at the facts - and I suggest on the squad development, you should all watch Neil Dewsnip's interview as he clearly states how loans are being used to strengthen the squad, talks about the development of youngster. https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/octobe ... interview/

Lets look at facts on squad development and recruitment
Competition for places - Lowe wants, like most managers, 2 people fighting for each position, it creates competition and strength in depth. He now has that and it allows him to have quality options from the bench.
Fixture congestion - This season is also unique and it is going to be condensed with many games coming thick and fast which equals tiredness and injuries.
Covid Impact - On top of this we have Coronavirus rampant, we have already have had 2 players test positive. I'm sure more will test positive at some stage in the season.
Injuries - So lets imagine that 15% of the (22 man) squad is always going to be missing, so 3-4 players through a combination of injuries, illness, suspension will be out every week. So that leaves a match-day squad of 18. This weekend for example we miss Luke/ Macleod/ Sawyer and possibly Hardie.
Youth Development - Lowe has clearly seen that Wilson, Randell, Tomlinson , Pursall and probably Lolos are all still a work in progress hence why they are on loan or have a clear plan. Dewsnip said for example that young Pursall is benefitting from exposure and learning from first team training.
Budgets - On the subject of budgets, it is clear to me that Lowe, Dewsnip, Schuey all talk about this every 2 weeks with Simon Hallett and Andrew Parkinson (see video where Neil refers to this). So they are simply operating within their football budget. Plus as another poster said I'm sure some parent clubs help out on the loan front. Loans are good for us, think where Cooper and Hardie came from last season.
Partnerships - I would say to have the quality of the squad we have, a clear development pathway for young players and the added bonus of having forged strong partnerships with the likes of Newcastle, Fulham and Forest is a big feather in the cap of the club and the football department. Those relationships with "bigger" clubs can only help us in the future and also bridge that gap from the football community we have due to our geographical location.

Strong start and learning - On top of this we are 8th in the league, conceded only 2 goals in the last 3 league games ( !!) , we are getting better, creating chances, playing attractive football, two academy products are delivering at either end of the pitch and as a team we are learning all the time. Ok so we might not be good enough to go up (but who knows?) but I think we are also too good to go down and I think we will have a lot more excitement than dreary times watching Argyle this season.

Argyle professionalism and positive atmosphere - Oh and all the players talk about the great atmosphere at the club (see Nouble, Watts interviews), the no"d1ckhead policy" and Luke also talked about how professional the club is compared to when he was last here (Commentators mentioned this in ifollow last week).

Wouldn't you say the club is doing really well, so why the negativity ? I've seen nearly 40 years of Argyle and this is up there with one of the best periods I have seen and I am personally very proud of how our club is developing. Well done to all concerned with the club ....oh and please don't listen to some of these serial negative naysayers nonsense posts!

:thumbup: :scarf: :scarf:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Sorry Koala, so much positivity on a Saturday morning, I just can't cope with it.
My 56th season and although we are lower down the pyramid than I would like I see many reasons for optimism too. A top chairman, comparatively financially stable club in testing times, an excellent backroom staff supporting a young and capable manager, an exciting style of football being played and several young homegrown players emerging who might have great value one day.
A lot of younger supporters who have largely seen us yo yoing between the two lower leagues are probably more easily satisfied than those of us who grew up seeing us yo yoing between the 2nd and 3rd tiers but I am optimistic that once again we are heading in the right direction.
Here's to another 3 points today.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Looks like a serious thrust at promotion to me. If we’re well funded through the chairman’s input, and some other clubs aren’t, then why not?[/quote]
Promotion push! What a sense of humour.[/quote]

We're sitting in 8th place. We've made a good start. We've got a good manager, a great set up and a group who obviously play for the shirt and eachother. Personally I don't think we'll have quite enough to be promoted this season, however it's far from unthinkable, particularly when you consider Wycombe got themselves up last season, Oxford & Fleetwood nearly did and they sit below us.[/quote]

It could be said that we have only played one team in form so far, mind you they lost 4-1 the week afterwards. Also after tomorrow we would have played 4 home games and only 2 away.
Perhaps like a few teams in all the leagues their current high position after only 5 games is because the fixture list has been kind.[/quote]

Would you include Morecambe in that HC ?
With reference to Argyle's start , they can only play the teams they play , time will tell if the 1.6 ppg will continue , however even you should be able to agree the signs are encouraging .[/quote]

Far too early to say anything is encouraging. Yet to see us play well. Struggled to beat a very poor Burton and against a very poor Wombles as well as losing to Orient. Don't see anything promising there.[/quote]

So MR Balham ,in your esteemed view it is too early to say anything is encouraging about our start to the season but obviously not too early to find something to moan about . That is the wonderful thing about opinions , clearly you are a hard man to please and there are others who post on this site who share your pessimistic views ,however there would appear to be a greater number who post on here that choose to have a more optimistic view and see a return of 1.6 points per game as an encouraging start to the season . Maybe we haven't played brilliantly all game every game but we have played well enough and often enough in all areas of the pitch to gain those 8 points . As a club we are in a higher division than last season and for all at the club on the playing/coaching side this will be a new learning curve , none of us know how our season will develop , but clearly for myself and others there are encouraging signs at this stage .

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Knibbsworth":2cs5x0uk said:
The positive with Telford is when not scoring he always seems to make himself good chances.

The negative with Telford is he always seems to miss good chances!

It depends which way you look at it. Is it mental? Will he net a couple, gain confidence, then not look back and score 20 goals by the end of the season.

Or does he keep spurning simple chances because he lacks composure and simply isn't that good?

He strikes me as a technically good player. He gets into good positions but what he lacks is the killer instinct in front of goal . He just looks permanently unlucky. I hope I'm wrong and he suddenly goes on a goalscoring run but I can't see it.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Koala Green":39aj4rg7 said:
I find it incredibly frustrating that despite the club doing well this forum can at times have such a negative focus, with some well documented perpetual naysayers. I find it baffling and a total disservice to the quiet majority that visit this site every day and put up with the negative carp being spouted.

Lets look at the facts - and I suggest on the squad development, you should all watch Neil Dewsnip's interview as he clearly states how loans are being used to strengthen the squad, talks about the development of youngster. https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2020/octobe ... interview/

Competition for places - Lowe wants, like most managers, 2 people fighting for each position, it creates competition and strength in depth. He now has that and it allows him to have quality options from the bench.
Fixture congestion - This season is also unique and it is going to be condensed with many games coming thick and fast which equals tiredness and injuries.
Covid Impact - On top of this we have Coronavirus rampant, we have already have had 2 players test positive. I'm sure more will test positive at some stage in the season.
Injuries - So lets imagine that 15% of the (22 man) squad is always going to be missing, so 3-4 players through a combination of injuries, illness, suspension will be out every week. So that leaves a match-day squad of 18. This weekend for example we miss Luke/ Macleod/ Sawyer and possibly Hardie.
Youth Development - Lowe has clearly seen that Wilson, Randell, Tomlinson , Pursall and probably Lolos are all still a work in progress hence why they are on loan or have a clear plan. Dewsnip said for example that young Pursall is benefitting from exposure and learning from first team training.
Budgets - On the subject of budgets, it is clear to me that Lowe, Dewsnip, Schuey all talk about this every 2 weeks with Simon Hallett and Andrew Parkinson (see video where Neil refers to this). So they are simply operating within their football budget. Plus as another poster said I'm sure some parent clubs help out on the loan front. Loans are good for us, think where Cooper and Hardie came from last season.
Partnerships - I would say to have the quality of the squad we have, a clear development pathway for young players and the added bonus of having forged strong partnerships with the likes of Newcastle, Fulham and Forest is a big feather in the cap of the club and the football department. Those relationships with "bigger" clubs can only help us in the future and also bridge that gap from the football community we have due to our geographical location.

Strong start and learning - On top of this we are 8th in the league, conceded only 2 goals in the last 3 league games ( !!) , we are getting better, creating chances, playing attractive football, two academy products are delivering at either end of the pitch and as a team we are learning all the time. Ok so we might not be good enough to go up (but who knows?) but I think we are also too good to go down and I think we will have a lot more excitement than dreary times watching Argyle this season.

Argyle professionalism and positive atmosphere - Oh and all the players talk about the great atmosphere at the club (see Nouble, Watts interviews), the no"d1ckhead policy" and Luke also talked about how professional the club is compared to when he was last here (Commentators mentioned this in ifollow last week).

Wouldn't you say the club is doing really well, so why the negativity ? I've seen nearly 40 years of Argyle and this is up there with one of the best periods I have seen and I am personally very proud of how our club is developing. Well done to all concerned with the club ....oh and please don't listen to some of these serial negative naysayers nonsense posts!

Thank you for writing what I was thinking! We've built a strong squad within the League 1 salary cap and Simon Hallett's playing budget. We have options in every position, COVID and injuries permitting.
I am delighted with all of this, and looking forward to seeing how this continues to translate on the pitch.

Mar 1, 2008
A right sided wing back would have been my priority over an additional forward.
Moore and Edwards look a bit sub par at this level. Especially since how important the wing back role is in the formation Lowe plays.

As always you can't judge a player until he's played a few games. Whoever he is, whatever his reputation.

Jul 12, 2016
Koala Green":2mm70h1q said:

How sad that you find it incredibly frustrating ,you are bafffled and find it a disservice to the quiet majority that some supporters dare to post negative comments. The audacity not to share your view.
This site is about opinions and it would be very boring if everybody had the same happy clappy outlook that you have.
Some supporters are by nature more cautious and realistic and try to temper the euphoria of others who post the opposite.
5 league games have been played in an uncertain season so I prefer to wait and see before showering such lavish praise.
I have supported Arygle longer than you and it will take a lot longer to convince me that this could be one of the best periods I have seen. Ultimately no matter what opinions we have the one thing we have in common is that we are all fans who want the best for our club.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
oldage":1ly7rafg said:
Koala Green":1ly7rafg said:

How sad that you find it incredibly frustrating ,you are bafffled and find it a disservice to the quiet majority that some supporters dare to post negative comments. The audacity not to share your view.
This site is about opinions and it would be very boring if everybody had the same happy clappy outlook that you have.
Some supporters are by nature more cautious and realistic and try to temper the euphoria of others who post the opposite.
5 league games have been played in an uncertain season so I prefer to wait and see before showering such lavish praise.
I have supported Arygle longer than you and it will take a lot longer to convince me that this could be one of the best periods I have seen. Ultimately no matter what opinions we have the one thing we have in common is that we are all fans who want the best for our club.

The sad part is that you acknowledge people have differing views , take offence that someone has the audacity to be baffled by those not sharing their views and then label positive posters 'happy clappers ' and take the high ground of being realistic . How dare someone post a positive , well reasoned , realistic post .

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
oldage":290qpc30 said:
Ultimately no matter what opinions we have the one thing we have in common is that we are all fans who want the best for our club.

There are one or two of you who make me wonder at times.

Jul 12, 2016
DartingtonPilgrim":2aluy6cf said:
oldage":2aluy6cf said:
Koala Green":2aluy6cf said:

The sad part is that you acknowledge people have differing views , take offence that someone has the audacity to be baffled by those not sharing their views and then label positive posters 'happy clappers ' and take the high ground of being realistic . How dare someone post a positive , well reasoned , realistic post .
Typical ,twisting my comments to suit your agenda. I will not change the way I post .

Jul 12, 2016
Mark Pedlar":11bf3gx1 said:
oldage":11bf3gx1 said:
Ultimately no matter what opinions we have the one thing we have in common is that we are all fans who want the best for our club.

What is wrong with some people.I have supported Argyle through good and bad times for over 50 years and I am entitled to an opinion. If you don't like what I say feel free to block me.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
oldage":2f1sl2gv said:
DartingtonPilgrim":2f1sl2gv said:
oldage":2f1sl2gv said:
Koala Green":2f1sl2gv said:

Typical ,twisting my comments to suit your agenda. I will not change the way I post .

Good for you oldage , as long as you accept the way you post , regularly challenging reasonable , positive posters and twisting it to your negative viewpoint will result in reasonable , positive posters challenging your posting style . Have a nice day

Mar 21, 2008
davie nine":sp3lrnmp said:
Rob_GT4":sp3lrnmp said:
Steve Evans":sp3lrnmp said:
i can see telford being transferred.

Who would want him though?
That could be a question that will eventually leave you with egg on your face.
He is, potentially, very quick and may not be fully match fit after his hamstring problems last season.
I would hope that he will now be in a position to test his all out pace and that, if he is confident that his fitness problems are behind him, he will start scoring goals.

Telford is not ‘very quick’, he isn’t even quick, his legs are so small that they look like they’re moving really quickly but he doesn’t actually cover ground at all if you watch him. When was the last time you saw him knock a ball past a defender and get on the end of it, the defender will either just outrun him or just muscle him off the ball as he falls to the floor like a kid in a playground.

He also doesn’t have the composure to be clinical in front of goal, because in my opinion he simply isn’t good enough. Every now and again a defence gives him the time and space he needs and he scores, but it’s rare, especially at this level.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
oldage":1kieq9dh said:
Mark Pedlar":1kieq9dh said:
oldage":1kieq9dh said:

What is wrong with some people.I have supported Argyle through good and bad times for over 50 years and I am entitled to an opinion. If you don't like what I say feel free to block me.
Whilst I don't agree with a lot of your views you put them across in a balanced non aggressive way without I being rude. I'm happy to keep reading your debates, if we all had the same view it would be pretty bland on here. That said I'm looking forward to three more points today and a start to the season that I'm happy with.