Team v Walsall? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team v Walsall?

Sep 6, 2006
Exactly. But according to Knibbsworth who knows everything the centre backs are faster than you or I so nothing to worry about! Work that one out.

Feb 17, 2017
Nobby":2vs6tbff said:
If Letheren is going to be no.1, we might as well terminate Burgoyne’s loan now and loan a keeper who is capable of making Letheren no.2. I would be stunned if we enter this season with Letheren as no.1 and given our ‘improved budget’, I’d be pretty furious at it too because he is not good enough to be no.1 in a promotion challenging team. He is solid backup/a cup keeper. I also agree with the above poster, Cooper is better based on the games I have seen.

The XI I think will start the season: 4-3-3 - Burgoyne, Riley, Wootton, Edwards, Sawyer, Fox, Ness, C. Grant, Lameiras, Carey, Taylor. Subs: Letheren, Moore, Canavan, Sarcevic, Wylde, Ladapo, Dyson.

Personally feel we are short of a wide option behind the first choice pair. Also very concerned about the instability of our defence. To have potentially a back five that have never played together is worrying and I can’t believe we’ve allowed it to play out this way. Equally worrying is the lack of pace, especially at centre back.

I’ve still got high hopes for the season, but I do hope these few things are addressed.

Very good post nobby and echo my sentiments in the most part. Just looking at that starting 11, and I believe you are correct in your prediction, there are some glaring problems, and the worst part is they are problems that were there last season.
I said it after a few of signings had been made, there is a clear lack of pace all over the pitch in our team, we struggled against sides with pace last season and we will happen again with that line up. We just cannot cope in transition, any team that has willing runners will rip that midfield and defence apart.
Sawyer should be a squad player, he cannot stand up a winger as he knows he will get beaten either side of him for pace, the crosses will come in no doubt, it’s not an if but a when will he get beaten.
We have no pace in defence which means we will not be able to play a high line through fear of balls over the top. The midfield also has no pace, how many times last season did you see ness and fox tailing attackers in a turnover of position and getting left behind.
I also believe that either an injury to fox or Taylor will spell disaster for us. No adequate cover for fox at all, and no proof yet anyone can play the taylor role, we will at some point see grant up front on his own him sure.
I like you have high hopes for the season, adams is a great manager no doubt, but the lack of addressing the pace will show, and this is not something you can simply work on. You cannot just inject pace, you have what you have until you change it that’s it.

Mar 14, 2009
Tbh, l agree regarding the Wolves keeper. He is here to be our no 1.

And whilst people are unsure about the GK position it’s worth reminding that it was McCormick and te Loeke at the start of last season. Now one year on you have a young gk as well in Cooper who could be pushing himself to be the first choice gk by the end of the season.

Now, with Conor Grant, Lameiras and Carey. Someone tell me who are going to have better passing midfielders in league one. Especially when you factor in Fox into that mix. The right hand side of the team with Riley and Moore looks to be very exciting. I think Moore’s attributes as a player could see him be one of the most exciting right backs since Gary Poole. The left hand side is more of a concern. Sawyer is a steady player but ideally you would like to see Smith-Brown take over the LB role this season. Is he ready though? Will he needed to be intergrated into the team slowly?

Taylor will hopefully by the usual lynchpin. Lapado is strong, and can hold the ball from what l’ve seen. Dyson will take some time but at this minute he may be trying too hard to impress and not just relaxed in playing football.

If Argyle had two assured CB’s and one pacey CDM l would be very excited about the start of pre-season. I am convinced Wotton will play alongside Cannavan. Now l think the first few games we might get battered somewhat but we have to remember these players have all had massive injuries. Wootton pre 2017 season, Cannavan last season, P Grant last season and Edwards was out with illness for the majority of last season.

All I’d say is two words. Jamie Ness. Looked awful when in our first 11 in August & September. By end of December he was one of the best performers. That only came with playing games. I’m afraid we might have to take some poor results once more in order to allow these players to regain any resemblance of form.

There is a lack of pace in the team, at CB, but even if Bradley remained here that wouldn’t of resolved the problem. By the time we play Walsall we need to have found a solution, even if it means dropping deep. I don’t unfortunately see anyone else apart from Fox at CDM which means the CB’s won’t get any help to cover by additional pace.

With one CM still to come l think we might find it’s someone who can get in the box like a Sarcevic. If he is out we have all these creative types, but no one to get on the end of things. I’d expect the final loan to challenge Sarcevic.

Can’t see a way back for Wylde or Ainsworth.

Starting line l reckon

Gk Burgoyne
Rb Riley
Cb Wootton
Cb Canavan
Lb Sawyer
CDM Fox
Cm Sarcevic / loan player
Cm Ness
No10 Lameiras
No10 Carey
St Lapado

Moore, Smith-Brown, Sarcevic/loan player, Edwards, Taylor

Mar 23, 2008
Good post and agree what you say, we need to be pragmatic and potentially we may see a slow start and some bedding in, that's the issue I suppose with signing rough diamonds, plenty of polishing required before they sparkle!

Jul 12, 2016
I don't understand how all the new players passed a medical and have been training hard yet somehow lack pace! Surely DA was aware that this was a problem last season, Sawyer in particular struggled and was easily outrun. New players take time to bed in but they are young and pace shouldn't be an issue.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
oldage":36yov3la said:
I don't understand how all the new players passed a medical and have been training hard yet somehow lack pace! Surely DA was aware that this was a problem last season, Sawyer in particular struggled and was easily outrun. New players take time to bed in but they are young and pace shouldn't be an issue.

Thing is with pace oldage, you've either got it or you ain't.

Jan 26, 2012
A lack of pace in the centre backs means that we have to stop quick attackers in another way.

Firstly stopping the early out ball, slow defenders get caught out up the pitch and forced to turn by a quick out ball, means our front 3 need to either A. Hold the ball up or B. Harass defenders into moving it sideways, preferably they do both, here having Taylor makes a difference as he holds the ball up so well it allows a slow defence to get organised before a long ball over the top becomes a problem.

Secondly pace down the flanks is a different issue, with 2 big centre backs you'd expect us to dominate aerial battles but a fast low cross becomes an issue to this regard we saw last season that as long as we can get a team playing in front of us rather than in behind us we should be fine, this means being organised forcing players inside rather than wide and getting Ness and Fox involved defensively.

The biggest issue for me against pace is by playing Lameiras what we gain going forward in terms of intricate play and creativity we lose someone who has the ability to provide the full backs with cover meaning at no point will we be 2 on 1 with an attacker. So a pacey attacker skipping down the right flank will always be 1 on 1 with Sawyer or Smith-brown.

Therefore the lack of pace may not be as serious an issue as we thought and although I like lameiras we have to decide whether his creativity off sets the number of times he gives possession away and his inability to support his full back defensively. As we need to keep the ball and allow us to get organised to off set our issues with a lack of pace.

A

ArgyleLuka

Gaz did win the bleep test during the first day of pre season. Maybe we are giving him a hard time? Gaz is a willing runner who works hard, yes he struggles against the seriously pacey wingers but if Smith-Brown can learn from him that is something that excites me. A combination of league 1/2 grit and determination with the technical ability of a player from the Premiership. Derek forked out for Ash, he rarely does purchase anyone. Derek has obviously seen something and knows he can bring out the best from him.

Sep 6, 2006
ArgyleLuka":26fushbq said:
Gaz did win the bleep test during the first day of pre season. Maybe we are giving him a hard time? Gaz is a willing runner who works hard, yes he struggles against the seriously pacey wingers but if Smith-Brown can learn from him that is something that excites me. A combination of league 1/2 grit and determination with the technical ability of a player from the Premiership. Derek forked out for Ash, he rarely does purchase anyone. Derek has obviously seen something and knows he can bring out the best from him.

Sawyer won the bleep test? Does that mean he is the fastest player we have. If so we are well and truly f***ed.
:facepalm:

Apr 30, 2017
Balham_Green":27wwf3s5 said:
ArgyleLuka":27wwf3s5 said:

Sawyer won the bleep test? Does that mean he is the fastest player we have. If so we are well and truly f***ed.
:facepalm:
Incorrect. Bleep test is a measure of your Cardiovascular Endurance (Stamina in less technical terms).

Aug 17, 2005
Okay first match if season away from home so something different
G. Burgoyne
RB. Riley
CB. Wooton
CB. Canaan
Lb. Sawyer
RM. Moore
Cm. Fox
Cm. C Grant
LM. Smith Brown
CF Carey
CF. Lamerias

Yes totally experimental but consider will strengthen up the wings with the two youngsters in front of older players. Both of them are meant to like to get forward. If Taylor fit then I would drop lamerias up front

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Based on who I think will be fit I’d have;

Gk Burgoyne
RB Riley
LB Smith-Brown ( or why did we pay a fee for him)
CB Edwards
CB Wootton
CDM Fox
MID Ness
MID C. Grant
LFW Carey
FW Taylor
RFW Lameiras

Subs;

Letheren
Sawyer
Moore
Canavan
Wylde
Ladapo

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m curious about the goalkeeping situation, in our 3 main friendlies so far, in terms of minutes played the order is 1. Letheren 2. Cooper 3. Burgoyne

I assumed Burgoyne had come to be nailed on no1, to be honest he may still be and the friendlies may mean nothing, but I’ve got to admit (not that either are poor) but i’d be slightly worried if Letheren or Cooper gets the nod at Walsall.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
and I'm curious about the central striker position...could make all the difference on the day....

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
New keeper

Riley
Wootton
Canavan
Smith-Brown

Grant
Fox
Ness

Carey
Taylor
Lamerias

That would be my guess, Fox or Wootton with the armband.