Team v Walsall? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team v Walsall?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Knibbsworth":1zw3sv75 said:
Well I hadn't...before I'd looked him up.

Typical Pasoti mentality, spend all summer knocking down Freddie Ladapo's goalscoring record, spend all week worrying about a fella who has scored several divisions below where we are, never played at this standard or even the division below.

Why criticise or cast doubt on Ladapo's record if you are going to fear this player as some kind of big deal? By virtue of Ladapo's last club being Crystal Palace of the Premier League with loans at League One level, compared to a player who's been at Tranmere and Barrow, I'm comfortable concluding that Ladapo is a player of better pedigree.
A) That seems quite a common theme that you don't know who others players are, which suggests you don't watch much football aside from Argyle. That's absolutely fine, but judging a player by looking him up on the internet is still ridiculous.
B) Not once have I criticised Ladapo or his scoring record, as far as I'm aware. I don't think I've commented on Ladapo at all in fact.

Am I worried about Andy Cook? I wouldn't say worried, but I know that he possesses a threat and that he will be a handful. That's having seen him play and knowing the level of player he is.

Sep 6, 2006
Argy1e":2honveij said:
Knibbsworth":2honveij said:

Typical Pasoti mentality, spend all summer knocking down Freddie Ladapo's goalscoring record, spend all week worrying about a fella who has scored several divisions below where we are, never played at this standard or even the division below.

Why criticise or cast doubt on Ladapo's record if you are going to fear this player as some kind of big deal? By virtue of Ladapo's last club being Crystal Palace of the Premier League with loans at League One level, compared to a player who's been at Tranmere and Barrow, I'm comfortable concluding that Ladapo is a player of better pedigree.
A) That seems quite a common theme that you don't know who others players are, which suggests you don't watch much football aside from Argyle. That's absolutely fine, but judging a player by looking him up on the internet is still ridiculous.
B) Not once have I criticised Ladapo or his scoring record, as far as I'm aware. I don't think I've commented on Ladapo at all in fact.

Am I worried about Andy Cook? I wouldn't say worried, but I know that he possesses a threat and that he will be a handful. That's having seen him play and knowing the level of player he is.

You were probably right with a) but he thinks he does. He tried to argue during the World Cup that goalkeepers often diveh in to the top corner to save penalties. He rarely backs up what he says with evidence but is convinced he is right.

Cook has averaged a goal every 2 games in National League for several seasons so not to be under estimated even if Knibbsworth does.

Aug 5, 2016
Argy1e":1a6pe4o3 said:
Knibbsworth":1a6pe4o3 said:

I actually stay tuned to all four professional divisions. That's why I was very surprised to hear that we were lining up against a fearsome goalscorer next week by the name of Andy Cook. I have never heard of him until today. It doesn't make me completely ignorant, it merely means his career has been unspectacular to date. It also means this player is completely untested in the Football League. In the context of League One, with the likes of Bradley Dack, Tom Eaves, Jack Marriott, Lyle Taylor, Ellis Harrison, Josh Magennis etc., I'd be extremely surprised if Andy Cook is going to give our defenders any more issues than the strikers they are used to dealing with at this level. He has a big jump up in standard to negotiate first, and not worthy of fearing any more than the former Premier League and Championship strikers we will be facing with regularity all season.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Knibbsworth":8dvobqg6 said:
Argy1e":8dvobqg6 said:
Knibbsworth":8dvobqg6 said:

I actually watch football across all four professional divisions quite regularly. That's why I was very surprised to hear that we were lining up against a fearsome goalscorer next week called Andy Cook. I have never heard of him until today. It doesn't make me completely ignorant, it merely means his career has been unspectacular to date. In the context of League One, with the likes of Tom Eaves, Jack Marriott, Lyle Taylor, Ellis Harrison, Josh Magennis etc., I'd be extremely surprised if Andy Cook is going to give our defenders any more nightmares than the strikers they are used to handling at this level.
And most of those strikers scored against us last season did they not? I'm not saying Cook is a player who is going to turn the game and have us on the back foot for 90 minutes. But is he a player who can score goals given half the chance. I expect Walsall to be very compact and restrict us from creating chances, that's not to say we won't, but that's how I expect them to try and play. If they do, we'll be in for a tough game and with a striker like Cook against us we'll have to be careful. All I was saying is that we shouldn't be expecting the "easy game" that some people are predicting.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Balham_Green":1a3i5rcs said:
Neilz5419":1a3i5rcs said:
Walsall fans are in a absolute melt down. They’ve lost 11 players from last seasons squad that narrowly avoided relegation, they’ve also lost otzumer. Should be quite a nice fixture to start the season with as I feel Walsall may well struggle again this season.

Why would they be in meltdown about losing players who almost got them relegated.? Doesn't make sense.
Because without some of those players (especially Ozstumer), they would have definitely been relegated last season. Not every player in a nearly relegated team has to be garbage - look at us last season, we were bottom for a long time despite having Carey in our team...

Jul 12, 2016
There will be no easy games this season.Part of our success last season was down to being a bit of an unknown quantity having just been promoted. Teams now know the way we play.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
oldage":1usa948i said:
There will be no easy games this season.

:iagree:

Bit worrying that a few posters here seem to think all we need to do is turn up at Walsall on the day.
Hope DA and the players aren't thinking that way.

Jun 2, 2016
oldage":10x7l24d said:
There will be no easy games this season.Part of our success last season was down to being a bit of an unknown quantity having just been promoted. Teams now know the way we play.
Do you think L1 teams don't scout L2 teams?
And if L1 know how we play, what about the 7 new teams in the league this year?
And you know what Carey and Lameiras do... But doesn't mean you can stop it.

Sep 6, 2006
kernow19":2v2nohci said:
oldage":2v2nohci said:

Bit worrying that a few posters here seem to think all we need to do is turn up at Walsall on the day.

Yeah sure DA is thinking that! Especially after our away record last season

Feb 17, 2017
Letheren
Riley
Edwards
Wootton
Sawyer

Fox
Grant
Ness

Carey
Lameiras
Ladapo/Dyson

1-1

Certainly not the team i would want to start but have a feeling this is what we will get especially away from home.

A couple people reporting Taylor is still having a few niggling issues, so whether he will be risked not sure
Also do not think we will see Sarcevic much at all this season, i do not think its a coincidence Sangser has being getting minutes.
Hopefully we sign another midfielder on loan else we will at some point no doubt be very light in this area

Aug 5, 2016
kernow19":1qbpdjt6 said:
oldage":1qbpdjt6 said:

You seem to have missed the dozens of posts lamenting Argyle's terrible pre-season. No-one thinks we are going to stroll it against Walsall, but it is perhaps a good time to play them. They are in transition like us and have lost most of their best players.

Feb 17, 2017
Knibbsworth":tb2vro7k said:
kernow19":tb2vro7k said:
oldage":tb2vro7k said:

You seem to have missed the dozens of posts lamenting Argyle's terrible pre-season. No-one thinks we are going to stroll it against Walsall, but it is perhaps a good time to play them. They are in transition like us and have lost most of their best players.

Spot on Knibbs, i dont think anyone is saying we will walk it against walsall, we probably will not hit the ground running oursevles. probably be a fairly scrappy nervey affair, id much rather that than go up against a well drilled team ready to go. Yes no game will be easy but there is a lot harder than a current walsall out there.