While Plymouth sleeps... | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

While Plymouth sleeps...

Jun 4, 2016
SatisfiedinSouthway":1ajj0sir said:
Lundan Cabbie":1ajj0sir said:
Zoo Corner":1ajj0sir said:
Ross,

Swansea competed today and took Man money city to the bring, count that one back in, son.

Watford have had many battles with Argyle over the years, put that one to bed.

Wolves is a small town in the midlands, we are Britains oceans city with a population the size of Cardiff/Newcastle.

Underachieving/potential for decades etc...… blah bla blah. That's because of small minded owners/fans not recognising potential and possibility. I think this mindset is a westcountry 'thing'. Please do not conform.

Plymouth's population is a lot closer to that of Wolverhampton (which is a city and not a town) than it is with either Cardiff or Newcastle.

As for "Britain's Ocean City." It is just a tag-line made up by our own Council. It doesn't mean anything beyond the city boundaries.

A stupid tag line as we are nowhere near the ocean!

A stupid tag line made up by Peter Jones during his rebranding of Plymouth effort.
I much prefered the previous "spirit of discovery" sign personally.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I actually think the slogan is really, really good.

‘Positively Plymouth’ and ‘Spirit of Discovery’ are completely generic and don’t tell you anything about the actual place. Britain’s Ocean City is specific, descriptive and conjures appealing mental images to tourists and investors.

Correct as well, because whether you think of Plymouth on the English Channel or not, it’s still the Atlantic Ocean.

Jun 5, 2010
Newcastle is of similar size in population, yes if your including gateshead etc... But we have a whole county in Cornwall and half of Devon

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
PennyX":1cx3in4d said:
Newcastle is of similar size in population, yes if your including gateshead etc... But we have a whole county in Cornwall and half of Devon

But most of Devon and Cornwall can't get here after 5pm during the week or at anytime on weekends unless they drive. :sad:

Jun 4, 2016
I would have thought the spirit of discovery slogan fitted perfectly with the city given our history of the mayflower and the new world. Especially with the upcoming planned festivities?

If you are calling the channel the Atlantic then surely a more appropriate name would be "one of Britain's ocean cities"

Aug 10, 2006
Quintrell_Green":2jrmfb4s said:
plymade":2jrmfb4s said:
Talked about this the other day. Argyle, with its catchment area and positive developments, should be an ideal prospect for a wealthy prospector!

On the other hand, that wealthy prospector might undertake a local consultation with Plymouth residents through THe Herald, identify there is a lack of attending supporters relative to the size of the city and move on to perhaps a more profitable project? It is not as easy as you think to buy a professional club and automatically make money.
swansea, hull, cardiff, bournemouth, brenford all had a lack of attending supporters untill they had a bit of success.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Pilgrim78":1ecrji00 said:
I would have thought the spirit of discovery slogan fitted perfectly with the city given our history of the mayflower and the new world. Especially with the upcoming planned festivities?

If you are calling the channel the Atlantic then surely a more appropriate name would be "one of Britain's ocean cities"

Are you familiar with the concept of advertising? ;)

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Imagine if instead if moaning about our geographical location, you embraced it.

We have the majority of Devon and Cornwall not to only to come and watch us, but to recruit from. We should have one of the best academies in the country and one of the biggest fan bases too.

People say we're not a 'footballing city' but pubs are packed with people watching it every weekend? Start marketing properly, start acting like a big club, start doing things properly, start recruiting better, more talented people and start thinking more ambitiously.

The potential for both Plymouth as a city and Argyle as a club is ridiculous. Stop accepting mediocrity.

Zoo.

Oct 16, 2016
I don’t understand this capacity obsession, the ground is seldom anywhere near sold out (pre build start). Sitting in stadia full of empty seats is depressing.
Argyle would need to be in the championship to really test the potential again. There are many clubs in the championship and below with huge capacity that never nearly fill it. At circa 18000 I think that makes sense but it will seldom sell out

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Zoo Corner":19yaz6d6 said:

We have the majority of Devon and Cornwall not to only to come and watch us, but to recruit from. We should have one of the best academies in the country and one of the biggest fan bases too.

People say we're not a 'footballing city' but pubs are packed with people watching it every weekend? Start marketing properly, start acting like a big club, start doing things properly, start recruiting better, more talented people and start thinking more ambitiously.

The potential for both Plymouth as a city and Argyle as a club is ridiculous. Stop accepting mediocrity.

Zoo.

The problem Argyle face in recruiting supporters from Devon and Cornwall is the competition that comes from the television sets that are in virtually all properties. We have to accept that those of us that prefer to watch our football live in a stadium are now very much in a minority. I speak to many as I drive around the streets of Plymouth and I can tell you that I come across more Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I do of members of the Green Army, most of who have never been near Old Trafford or Anfield.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Lundan Cabbie":4evlxkj3 said:
Zoo Corner":4evlxkj3 said:

Zoo.

The problem Argyle face in recruiting supporters from Devon and Cornwall is the competition that comes from the television sets that are in virtually all properties. We have to accept that those of us that prefer to watch our football live in a stadium are now very much in a minority. I speak to many as I drive around the streets of Plymouth and I can tell you that I come across more Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I do of members of the Green Army.

Mr Cabbie, you make a good point regarding converting people but it is possible, teams like Brighton, Swansea, Bristol City just a few years ago had shocking attendances and look at them all now...

How poor is the marketing team at Argyle? How often do you get hit with targeted ads encouraging people to purchase tickets? Why don't we do special offers for kids? Why as soon as you come into Plymouth aren't you bombarded with Argyle on billboards etc? I could go on for days.

Argyle have the potential to be a HUGE team, some of you may laugh but we genuinely do. It pains me to see such potential wasted.

Sep 6, 2006
Zoo Corner":2ss1mxgv said:
Lundan Cabbie":2ss1mxgv said:
Zoo Corner":2ss1mxgv said:

Zoo.

The problem Argyle face in recruiting supporters from Devon and Cornwall is the competition that comes from the television sets that are in virtually all properties. We have to accept that those of us that prefer to watch our football live in a stadium are now very much in a minority. I speak to many as I drive around the streets of Plymouth and I can tell you that I come across more Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I do of members of the Green Army.

Mr Cabbie, you make a good point regarding converting people but it is possible, teams like Brighton, Swansea, Bristol City just a few years ago had shocking attendances and look at them all now...

How poor is the marketing team at Argyle? How often do you get hit with targeted ads encouraging people to purchase tickets? Why don't we do special offers for kids? Why as soon as you come into Plymouth aren't you bombarded with Argyle on billboards etc? I could go on for days.

Argyle have the potential to be a HUGE team, some of you may laugh but we genuinely do. It pains me to see such potential wasted.

People will.not travel from Ilfracombe Newquay etc all the way to Plymouth to watch a struggling League 1 side when they can watch the Prem on tv. No matter how good the marketing.

May 1, 2011
Balham_Green":1c3ny3kk said:
Zoo Corner":1c3ny3kk said:
Lundan Cabbie":1c3ny3kk said:
Zoo Corner":1c3ny3kk said:

Zoo.

People will.not travel from Ilfracombe Newquay etc all the way to Plymouth to watch a struggling League 1 side when they can watch the Prem on tv. No matter how good the marketing.

Cynical but true. Money talks, Bristol City have a board made up of multi millionaires, but has to help.