While Plymouth sleeps... | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

While Plymouth sleeps...

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Balham_Green":3un05cyd said:
Zoo Corner":3un05cyd said:
Lundan Cabbie":3un05cyd said:
Zoo Corner":3un05cyd said:
Imagine if instead if moaning about our geographical location, you embraced it.

We have the majority of Devon and Cornwall not to only to come and watch us, but to recruit from. We should have one of the best academies in the country and one of the biggest fan bases too.

People say we're not a 'footballing city' but pubs are packed with people watching it every weekend? Start marketing properly, start acting like a big club, start doing things properly, start recruiting better, more talented people and start thinking more ambitiously.

The potential for both Plymouth as a city and Argyle as a club is ridiculous. Stop accepting mediocrity.

Zoo.

The problem Argyle face in recruiting supporters from Devon and Cornwall is the competition that comes from the television sets that are in virtually all properties. We have to accept that those of us that prefer to watch our football live in a stadium are now very much in a minority. I speak to many as I drive around the streets of Plymouth and I can tell you that I come across more Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I do of members of the Green Army.

Mr Cabbie, you make a good point regarding converting people but it is possible, teams like Brighton, Swansea, Bristol City just a few years ago had shocking attendances and look at them all now...

How poor is the marketing team at Argyle? How often do you get hit with targeted ads encouraging people to purchase tickets? Why don't we do special offers for kids? Why as soon as you come into Plymouth aren't you bombarded with Argyle on billboards etc? I could go on for days.

Argyle have the potential to be a HUGE team, some of you may laugh but we genuinely do. It pains me to see such potential wasted.

People will.not travel from Ilfracombe Newquay etc all the way to Plymouth to watch a struggling League 1 side when they can watch the Prem on tv. No matter how good the marketing.

A few points;

There are more than 600,000 people that live in Cornwall Mr Balham, we could get a couple of thousand of these i'm sure.

We are a few signings of mounting a real charge for the Championship, then the prospect of playing teams like Villa, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Leeds will become slightly more appealing won't it.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Zoo Corner":a80ozc2o said:
Balham_Green":a80ozc2o said:
Lundan Cabbie":a80ozc2o said:

We have the majority of Devon and Cornwall not to only to come and watch us, but to recruit from. We should have one of the best academies in the country and one of the biggest fan bases too.

People say we're not a 'footballing city' but pubs are packed with people watching it every weekend? Start marketing properly, start acting like a big club, start doing things properly, start recruiting better, more talented people and start thinking more ambitiously.

The potential for both Plymouth as a city and Argyle as a club is ridiculous. Stop accepting mediocrity.

Zoo.

The problem Argyle face in recruiting supporters from Devon and Cornwall is the competition that comes from the television sets that are in virtually all properties. We have to accept that those of us that prefer to watch our football live in a stadium are now very much in a minority. I speak to many as I drive around the streets of Plymouth and I can tell you that I come across more Man Utd and Liverpool fans than I do of members of the Green Army.

Mr Cabbie, you make a good point regarding converting people but it is possible, teams like Brighton, Swansea, Bristol City just a few years ago had shocking attendances and look at them all now...

How poor is the marketing team at Argyle? How often do you get hit with targeted ads encouraging people to purchase tickets? Why don't we do special offers for kids? Why as soon as you come into Plymouth aren't you bombarded with Argyle on billboards etc? I could go on for days.

Argyle have the potential to be a HUGE team, some of you may laugh but we genuinely do. It pains me to see such potential wasted.

People will.not travel from Ilfracombe Newquay etc all the way to Plymouth to watch a struggling League 1 side when they can watch the Prem on tv. No matter how good the marketing.

A few points;

There are more than 600,000 people that live in Cornwall Mr Balham, we could get a couple of thousand of these i'm sure.

We are a few signings of mounting a real charge for the Championship, then the prospect of playing teams like Villa, Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Leeds will become slightly more appealing won't it.

And Balham Green has more people living within a 15 mile radius of him than the entire population of Devon and Cornwall put together but even with 100 times better public transport links, Fulham, Palace, Millwall, Charlton and Wimbledon are all still small clubs.

May 1, 2011
Zoo Corner":3t6ydwjf said:
Balham_Green":3t6ydwjf said:
Lundan Cabbie":3t6ydwjf said:

Zoo.

A few points;

Last time we went up it was slightly more appealing but not massively as our gates suggested.

Jul 13, 2006
Biggs":114olzdg said:
I actually think the slogan is really, really good.

‘Positively Plymouth’ and ‘Spirit of Discovery’ are completely generic and don’t tell you anything about the actual place. Britain’s Ocean City is specific, descriptive and conjures appealing mental images to tourists and investors.

Correct as well, because whether you think of Plymouth on the English Channel or not, it’s still the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes, but the slogan is " Britain's Ocean City", implying it is the only one, when it obviously isn't.

Screen Corner

🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰🇭🇰
Dec 11, 2016
Balham, London.
Bristol Rich":3i0zxq4f said:
Zoo Corner":3i0zxq4f said:
Balham_Green":3i0zxq4f said:
Lundan Cabbie":3i0zxq4f said:

Zoo.

A few points;

Last time we went up it was slightly more appealing but not massively as our gates suggested.

Bristol Rich, i take it you have been down to Ashton Gate? I know that they have a multi millionaire owner but everything they do is 100x better than Argyle. On and off the pitch they are a class above. It wasn't so long ago that we got better gates than them and had a better team.

It doesn't take long for tides to turn...

Zoo Corner":1l2xnz13 said:
Balham_Green":1l2xnz13 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1l2xnz13 said:

Zoo.

A few points;

At present the average loss per championship club is £11 million. This is entirely funded by rich owners having a punt on converting their millions of investment into multi-millions by reaching the premiership. Even if we doubled our stadium size, and doubled the number of bums on seats, we could still achieve nothing without rich owners. No other model is possible if you want to attract championship standard players at current average championship wage levels.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
foreigner":1lgc4r1y said:
Biggs":1lgc4r1y said:

‘Positively Plymouth’ and ‘Spirit of Discovery’ are completely generic and don’t tell you anything about the actual place. Britain’s Ocean City is specific, descriptive and conjures appealing mental images to tourists and investors.

Correct as well, because whether you think of Plymouth on the English Channel or not, it’s still the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes, but the slogan is " Britain's Ocean City", implying it is the only one, when it obviously isn't.

It is the only British City to face the Atlantic Ocean. It is indeed Britain's Ocean City...be proud of it, I am, and I'm a born and bred Londoner.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
foreigner":1iyb0kdt said:
Biggs":1iyb0kdt said:

The point of advertising is to make your product sound better than everyone else’s.

Zoo, you’re using Bristol City as an example of doing things 100x better than Argyle. Well, Ashton Gate is clearly a huge inspiration for the new offering at Home Park, the branding around HP is now very slick and I ‘believe’ we may also be seeing fan zones and street food like they have at Brizzle and also Andrew Parkinson’s former club Liverpool.

Your observations about Argyle are in part correct regarding the last 50 years, but it’s mightily unfair to accuse the current board when they’re the ones trying to reverse the decline.

May 16, 2016
Zoo Corner":2y26dtbr said:
Lundan Cabbie":2y26dtbr said:
Zoo Corner":2y26dtbr said:

Zoo.

A lot of the stuff you say the Club should do, is already being done.

The Community people stretch far and wide over the region, they often go into the local Schools too. The local Radio has the Sports News sponsored by Argyle, I get regular emails from the Club as does, I assume, anyone else on the Database. There's regular special offers for families and kids. The recent piece on Football Focus helping Prisoners, raised the profile too.

I'm sure there's other stuff that someone could add. Maybe things are changing and improving other than building some statement underused Stadium. Perhaps it's you, that sleeps ?

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Interesting discussion. I agree that Argyle have the capacity to become a football giant, however, in the absence of major inward investment I believe the club are taking the only option open to them i.e. steady sustainable growth. We've seen the alternative before...speculate with money you don't have on a future you can't guarantee...suicidal. Believe me I would love to see a daft billionaire invest his pocket money in Argyle and I suspect it could happen if we sustain a period in League 1 and perhaps in the Championship.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It implies it's THE best Ocean City. Love the strapline, always have, and those that say that Plymouth Sound 'isn't the ocean' don't know what they're talking about.

Peter Jones may have made a mistake bringing bottle green to Argyle, but he deserves full praise for this one.

Sep 6, 2006
Old Gunner":1smztkhu said:
foreigner":1smztkhu said:
Biggs":1smztkhu said:

It is the only British City to face the Atlantic Ocean. It is indeed Britain's Ocean City...be proud of it, I am, and I'm a born and bred Londoner.

What about Truro?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":24ewbn0t said:
It implies it's THE best Ocean City. Love the strapline, always have, and those that say that Plymouth Sound 'isn't the ocean' don't know what they're talking about.

Peter Jones may have made a mistake bringing bottle green to Argyle, but he deserves full praise for this one.

It only implies that to us who live here though. Not the rest of the world.

Have you noticed they have had to drop the claim on the PCC website of being the largest city on the south coast since it was pointed out that Brighton & Hove is actually larger by population?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Old Gunner":2iu0e2od said:
foreigner":2iu0e2od said:
Biggs":2iu0e2od said:

It may face the Atlantic Ocean but you have to sail through the Celtic Sea to actually get there :greensmile: