Another Brunt v Reid thread | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another Brunt v Reid thread

Jun 8, 2014
Frazer Lloyd-Davies":22uymrk6 said:
Reuben clearly isn't match fit and this was evident against Wycombe when their keeper was down injured. He hesitated, something a fit Reid never does.

Admittedly he isn't in great form at the moment, but his fitness and form won't return with him sat on the bench. He has to play his way back into form.

He's got bags more talent than Brunt, and because of that he has to start. He's a game changer whereas Brunt is just a good player.

Exactly. You only get match fit with games, and he'll only get back to his best with games.

I like Brunt but you have to play your best players, Reid linked up very well with Carey earlier in the season but was also very good when Jervis was performing best. For me, personally, it's a no brainer.

If we don't play Reid now he'll never get back to his best and we'll be stuck in this eternal debate of which striker to play.

A

acorn

If Reid finds his for he could get 8-10 goals before the end of the season, Im not sure Brunt would give us that return.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
N-W-P":1limfv9f said:
If Reid finds his for he could get 8-10 goals before the end of the season, Im not sure Brunt would give us that return.
True - but if he doesn't (or can't if still struggling physically) then he contributes little whereas Brunt will always put in a decent shift. In that sense Brunt is the lower risk but lower return option – and as we aren’t playing catch-up but just need to maintain half decent form to cross the line then maybe he’s the logical choice? Dunno – glad it’s not up to me to be honest – I’ll trust DA to make the call, but it’s an interesting debate.

Nov 16, 2006
Cobi Budge.":i1c2xrpt said:
Reuben isn't the most important player we have, we are 2nd & we've been without him for most of the season/without him at 100%. We are a team, not a collection of individuals (as we were last season), we don't rely on anyone.

We can win, and play well without him, as we've shown time and time again. Promotion certainly doesn't hinge on Reid's form, nor did it hinge on Boateng's return etc.

I do trust DA's judgement but if I were him I'd be leaving both Jervis & Reid out. Dropping Wylde did him wonders, it could do the same for those two, both very good players, but both are under-performing, and both need to fight to stay in the team.

Players should be picked on form, not reputation. Brunt's contribution this season shouldn't be understated, he's had a very good campaign and he deserves to be on the pitch.

Genuine question....why do you think it should be Brunt & Nardiello then?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We play with one striker for away games in a 4-2-3-1 formation and it's worked a treat but not so good for home games where the opposition target our midfielders and close them down.
So, given our average home form, it's time to play a 4-4-2 formation which then means Reid and Brunt can both play. This would give the opposition another problem and not concentrate so much on stifling our midfield.

"They can't play together" some will say but in most of the games where both names are on the team sheet Brunt has played a wide role in the usual 4-2-3-1 line-up so not actually a partner for Reid in the central areas unless it's been a last throw of a dice late in games.
The downside is that Carey would have to play a central midfield role and the added defensive responsibilities that comes with that. But Adams has used Carey in the wide positions so he could replace an out of form Jervis on one wing with the bonus of cutting inside, Wylde would be on the other wing and Reid and Brunt through the middle and Threlkeld/Simpson and McHugh as the two central midfielders. Job done!

Jan 3, 2013
Well, apart from the green tints on here, who know far more about football than me ;-/.........I've yet to speak to ANYONE who believes that Reid is worth a place in the side.

Jun 18, 2015
Up until now Reid was always the fans favorite with regular chants of Reuben but against Wycombe with Reuben having a poor game with the constant Brunt chants after Reid made a mistake or missed an easy chance does anyone we are begininng to see a shift in the crowd fans favorite with Brunt taking over Reid as the fans favorite striker. Probably sounds like a silly question just an observation.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm a big Reuben fan but when things don't quite go right for him and his 'detractors' want to pick up on something, it isn't hard with RR, he constant moaning about everything (and everyone on occasions) makes him an easy target.

Brunty on the other hard works his socks off on the pitch wether it's home or away.

Who's the more skilful, I'd say Rubes by a country mile, who gives the best vibes on the pitch, I'd say Brunty by the same country mile.

Who's going to score more? I think RB will at home because of the pitch, and I think RR will score more away.

Both good people to have play for PAFC that's for sure.

Once a battering ram of a player the other is more of a thoroughbred. In my opinion of course.

A season or two ago we discussing Enoch and Marvin - Now look at us.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Greenford":2r11t465 said:
Up until now Reid was always the fans favorite with regular chants of Reuben but against Wycombe with Reuben having a poor game with the constant Brunt chants after Reid made a mistake or missed an easy chance does anyone we are begininng to see a shift in the crowd fans favorite with Brunt taking over Reid as the fans favorite striker. Probably sounds like a silly question just an observation.

It's because that vocal portion of fans are frankly idiots. The tools used Nathan Thomas against Sheridan and now Brunt against Reid. Classless "fans" and counterproductive idiots. That's my observation anyway.

C

Cobi Budge.

What a silly generalisation. Would you prefer the 'vocal fans' sat in silence for 90 minutes?

C

Cobi Budge.

jollygreenjohn":1ttwuda6 said:
Oh great even more finding any excuse to give Reid grief on Saturday, great work Cobi.

I didn't start this thread, I replied to someone else on another, and also I don't give Reid grief on a Saturday, in fact I'm highly critical of those who do.