Another Brunt v Reid thread | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Another Brunt v Reid thread

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

Knarf Reprah":ls5gacr6 said:
up_the_line":ls5gacr6 said:
Knarf Reprah":ls5gacr6 said:
I agree with that, wrong to chant in that way, but IMHO until Reid gets back to form he is not worth his place

And how do you propose he gets back to form? In that really competitive reserve competition we play in? A bit of heads and vols?

Difficult one, but is he worth his place?

Yes.

This is exactly the same problem LVG had with Wayne Rooney and he has a £51m back up in Tony Marshall.

You have to play your best players. There's no way Reid will find form sat on the bench.

We could have signed Dimitar Berbatov in his prime and Argyle fans would have moaned because of his lack of movement and perceived effort.

Just because you run around a lot doesn't mean you're a great player. Reid has a better scoring record than Brunt over a sustained period of time.

Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

Dec 3, 2005
The thing is FORM is NOW - it is now that we need the form.

We need to WIN some games to make sure we cross that line - can we afford to be 'carrying' a player because of his past form?

Also our four top scorers at the moment are Jervis, Carey, Brunt and Reid.

And what a good situation it is to have such alot of players actually scoring, with Wylde, Tanner and McHugh not far behind.

C

Cobi Budge.

edmonds200":2xsrm8su said:
Well Cobi luckily your not the manager....as I said Reuben will always play when fit while this management are here

;)

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Did anyone else notice who was the first to congratulate Ryan Brunt when he came back on the pitch at the end of the game? It was Reuben Reid.

Why can't we all accept that there is a tremendous team spirit at the club and not try to set players off against one another?

There will be games when Reid will be first choice and others when Brunt will be and, I for one , trust DA to get it right more often than not.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":3rtvac4w said:
Did anyone else notice who was the first to congratulate Ryan Brunt when he came back on the pitch at the end of the game? It was Reuben Reid.

Why can't we all accept that there is a tremendous team spirit at the club and not try to set players off against one another?

There will be games when Reid will be first choice and others when Brunt will be and, I for one , trust DA to get it right more often than not.
Far too reasonable-minded for Pasoti.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
davie nine":zzehnu2n said:

Agreed, great post.

We are blessed with not just two superb forwards but talent running right through our team and it showed today. DA made a handful of changes and everyone who came in offered something different that helped us on to victory. For me it's no slight on those left out either, on came the likes of Reuben and Jervis who had made way in the starting line-up and both looked up for it and dangerous in the minutes they played.

Football is a team sport and today we showed what a team we have. As I said the other day a few years ago a thread like this would have been discussing a Feeney or Chadwick option; can we not just be grateful for the return of the good times at Hone Park.

C

Cobi Budge.

I think there's a big difference between picking your best team, and picking your best players.

Jun 18, 2015
I wonder if Reids future may lie away from Argyle with Brunty taking over Reids role not only as the main striker but also as the fans favorite. I hope not as I have a lot of time for Reid but competition for places is always good, rather than say Reid vs Brunt we need to acknowledge that we have two great strikers at this level.
Also I know a lot of players get their own chant but Brunts chant has to be one of the most infectious and catchy chants given to an argyle player in a long time.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Brunty is a spade and Rubes is a fork.

To have a decent garden, you need both.

Jun 7, 2006
Whilst I can accept that Brunt's good form has won him a starting spot in the last few games IMHO a firing again Reuben Reid takes us to league one. I think most will agree Reuben is the better player. Is he likely to hit top form coming off the bench? We seem to be struggling for goals right now after all.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Brunt has looked tired in the last few games, his phenomenal work rate counts against game late in games as it did today. I think Adams keeps him on because his height helps defend corners late in games.

I think it's time to swap and start with Reid with Brunt on the bench to come on later.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
In spite of the glaring miss from Reid he did at least find himself in front of his defender twice to get into goalscoring positions through anticipation and intelligent running.

Brunt has undoubtedly been very useful whilst there were no other options and worked very hard. But I do find it indicative of the cult status Brunt has attained that when Tanner played an absolute peach of a pass onto Wyldes foot across the width of the pitch: zero applause or recognition. But when Brunt chased down a defender and almost blocked a clearance some people were in rhapsodies.