Could Argyle v Exeter be live on Sky? Confirmed Mon 23 | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Could Argyle v Exeter be live on Sky? Confirmed Mon 23

Are you happy with a Monday night game?

• Yes

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don't mind

Votes: 23 29.5%

• Total voters
Feb 23, 2008
Voice_of_Reason":1dvws7el said:
Like it or not Sky put the money in and call the shots.

Monday night football doesn't suit anyone, look at the Mancs tonight, dopeople really think with the recent rail chaos they or their fans want to be in West London on a Monday night at 10pm (not far home to Surrey gags aside) - of course not.

TV rights account for such a large percentage of clubs revenue we do have to bend over and brace ourselves occasionally.

No I doubt they do but it isn't a local derby, I doubt it gets moved with just over a month's notice, most of their fans are likely plastics and I'm pretty sure that some of those clubs are where they are through years and years of TV money.

We're not.

chunkymonkey78":18lt9rbn said:
Not happy with this at all. No consultation with fans, no warning of it happening, Sky have spoken and the club have dropped their pants.

So now plans that people have made for quite possibly the biggest game of the season are most probably in disarray, I won't be able to go due to work commitments and neither will either of my kids.

Poor show that, I had an inkling they might move the kick off time about a bit but not the date.

For a club that's had so much positivity around it lately that's a big own goal as far as I can see.

The club have no choice. Sky pay us 500k for the right to do this kind of thing. It's within Sky's 4 week notice perioid agreed with EFL.

Championship and prem fans have to deal with this disruption all the time, week in week out.

Jul 12, 2004
I too had booked train tickets. I lost out for the away game to the once a season away supporters as well.

At least most matches can be planned. On the way back from Manchester three West Brom supporters got on and they pointed out they cannot plan because matches be moved within five weeks.

May 16, 2016
One small crumb of comfort is that there is now at least an option or chance to watch the match for those who have had travel plans mucked up. Assuming access to Sky Sports is available.

Aug 4, 2011
PlymouthCasual":2qminvq7 said:
Great news and the atmosphere is always better under lights (no idea why)

Disagree, I think its a bit of a myth. Night time games tend to have a far worse atmosphere IMHO.

Regardless, lets hope for the same outcome as that famous night game back in the early 2000's

Marrriinooooooo

Jul 6, 2005
Very unfortunate, especially for the travelling fans of both Clubs. No doubt a number of fans with tickets will not be able to attend now.

Sadly, nothing Argyle can do about it. He who pays the Piper calls the tune. The only hope of stopping this would have been an objection from the Police.

A similar thing happened to the away fixture at Scunthorpe 2 seasons ago, but that was more readily accepted by most Argyle fans because of the difficulties associated with a mid-week game in North Lincolnshire.

It will almost certainly affect the gate and with the modest fee paid by Sky, Argyle might now end up with a loss of revenue.

Jun 24, 2008
demportdave":1nc2i3k2 said:
Very unfortunate, especially for the travelling fans of both Clubs. No doubt a number of fans with tickets will not be able to attend now.

Sadly, nothing Argyle can do about it. He who pays the Piper calls the tune. The only hope of stopping this would have been an objection from the Police.

A similar thing happened to the away fixture at Scunthorpe 2 seasons ago, but that was more readily accepted by most Argyle fans because of the difficulties associated with a mid-week game in North Lincolnshire.

It will almost certainly affect the gate and with the modest fee paid by Sky, Argyle might now end up with a loss of revenue.

And surely the move benefits them with less trouble elsewhere on weekday compared to the weekend, not to mention the reduction in alcohol being consumed.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
macleanie":1f9wmr3n said:
demportdave":1f9wmr3n said:

And surely the move benefits them with less trouble elsewhere on weekday compared to the weekend, not to mention the reduction in alcohol being consumed.

Reduction? Those who will drink, will still drink and now have more time to do it. Arguably worse.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
I'm really hoping this game isn't a sell out now and it comes across really poorly on the TV with an early argyle goal setting up a 1-0 boring win then Sky won't bother again

Absolutely ruining what is left of the domestic football structure... This could've been picked before Christmas where both teams were doing relatively well and been the Saturday midday kick off

Feb 23, 2008
demportdave":2ucy909e said:

We'd need to lose 4000-ish off the gate at £25 a ticket for it to cost us, but I guess when you take into account lost revenue from kiosks etc then it's not ideal.

Mar 14, 2009
I’d hate to point out to people but if they want a successful Argyle team eg promotion to the championship, then fixtures decided by tv will get worse. Friday night games, Saturday & Sunday lunchtimes and Monday night fixtures. We will be moved from pillar to post for tv.

That’s why personally l love league one and two football. You may hate the standard or the teams we play but majority of the games, it’s guaranteed 3pm Saturday football. This is just a very rare occurrence. And very unfortunate for some.

The holy grail of rising up the leagues unfortunately comes with sacrifices. Television deciding when and where you play is one of them.

Sep 12, 2017
Gloucester Green":3g4b4fgk said:
I'm really hoping this game isn't a sell out now and it comes across really poorly on the TV with an early argyle goal setting up a 1-0 boring win then Sky won't bother again

Absolutely ruining what is left of the domestic football structure... This could've been picked before Christmas where both teams were doing relatively well and been the Saturday midday kick off

Swings and roundabouts mate i know a few people would have to miss lunchtime kick off because of working saturday mornings
its bad enough trying to get to ground for 3 o'clock kick offs

Feb 23, 2008
Me being one of them so I guess it's better than bringing it to a lunchtime ko.

Just read on Facebook about someone who had their kids booked for the matchday experience though, no thought whatsoever has gone into picking that date.

How will this affect the corporate stuff as well, that 100k isn't looking like much compo for the potential hassle it's caused.

Even the Sunday afternoon/evening might've worked.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
cheshiregreen":3pv8ehda said:
Financially I guess it's better for Argyle if we use the I follow subscription route as opposed to watching Sky?

Or does the Sky coverage make I follow is not an option? Just a thought so as club gets my cash instead of the media giant

IFollow is £10 and £8 goes to Argyle.

NowTV used to be £7.99 and nothing to Argyle apart from the £30,000 + the £450,000 annual tv rights

And ifollow is actually quite good from HP. Not sure If they’d share the gantry etc.