Players you had irrational like/dislike of..... | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Players you had irrational like/dislike of.....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Greg Wylde scored an exocet v Wycombe on the first game of the season a few seasons ago. That shot will stay with me forever.

I won't even mention the winner at Fratton Park. :scarf:

Nov 11, 2020
That first game was, I think, Wimbledon. Came away from that game mightily impressed with Wylde but .... as you’ve said he just never quite delivered

Aug 5, 2015
I had an irrational dislike of Sonny Bradley. He was indeed a good player but all those tats were overdone and gave the impression of a Neanderthal thug. How we need him now though.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Really liked David Goodwillie. It was so clear that he was a very talented footballer on a different wavelength to most of the players we had. Signing him should have been a real coup but we were just never going to play a system that suited his strengths, AKA with a strike partner, and with the ball to feet, instead of being used a target man with thousands berating him because he struggled to win aerial balls against players twice his size. He'd score bucketloads in a Ryan Lowe side.

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Sainghin Green":1tvdln2q said:
Indeed not!

....and while we're at it, Keith Sanderson, and don't get me started on Noel Dwyer!

Oh no,Sainghin Green; there was nothing irrational about a dislike of Noel Dwyer! Utterly rational response, if you ask me.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":j043c781 said:
Argyle have had many dire players over the years.
But if we're after that really unique blend of being both crap and irritating then it's Greg Wylde. I still wake up screaming thinking about that cross at Yeovil. I was also at Ewood for the Carlisle game when he chased someone else's goal bound shot in and put it over the line. Professional some might say (it was definitely going in) but then he ran over and slid across the turf as if he'd somehow scored a solo wonder goal. Made the paper for parking his (very expensive) car across two spaces.
So in answer to the op, I didn't just think Wylde was bad, he also irked me.

Having said all that, it takes a special kind of berk to sign him twice

I quite liked Gregg Wylde, technically he wasn't fantastic sure, but I always got excited when he was on the ball & felt as if he could make something happen. Each to their own I guess though, that seems very much the point of this thread.

Nov 18, 2011
Irrational Likes:

Martin Phillips, Carlo Corazzin, Chris Billy, Nadjim Abdou

Irrational Dislikes:

Nick Chadwick, Rory Fallon, Simon Walton, Karl Duguid.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Carlo":2vrtla55 said:
I was gutted when Carl McHugh left - especially the manner

Could have easily become a cult legend here and he could have easily took on the armband. I was spitting feathers when he left.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Interesting to read the comments about Wylde. I always felt that he would have made a much better central striker than winger. He had good pace, an ability to run beyond the defence, a rocket shot and a surprisingly good leap which made him more dangerous in the air than he should have been - all good attributes for a central striker playing off a target man. But he couldn’t cross the ball to save his life - an essential attribute for a winger...

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The Doctor":2vyckzrs said:
Interesting to read the comments about Wylde. I always felt that he would have made a much better central striker than winger. He had good pace, an ability to run beyond the defence, a rocket shot and a surprisingly good leap which made him more dangerous in the air than he should have been - all good attributes for a central striker playing off a target man. But he couldn’t cross the ball to save his life - an essential attribute for a winger...

I always liked the thought of him playing alongside Ryan Taylor for the very reasons you've highlighted.

Apr 1, 2009
rsp4":1r9v3n7n said:
davegreenarmy":1r9v3n7n said:
Let’s go for positive instead of negative.

Mat Doumbe. Thought he was an exceptional player for us, always liked his style, yet he never really gets talked about in terms of ex-players.

Great shout. I was a big fan of Mat. I had forgotten about him. :wtf:

I too was a big fan of Mat Doumbe, surely the quickest Argyle CB of the last 20 years. I remember a phenomenal goal-saving tackle on Kenny Miller of Wolves, that only someone of his pace could have achieved.

Doumbe is also significant to me for another reason. He made his first start, and scored in a 1-1 draw, at Preston in September 2004. I was there on a first date with my current partner, a die-hard Man City fan who now attends far more Argyle games than City ones.

Jan 21, 2007
Chris Clarke (especially) and Jim Patterson ... the two most boring players i’ve ever seen in a green shirt ... my heart sunk whenever I saw their names on the team sheet.

Patterson, for some reason had ‘step-over’ as a nickname, but had absolutely no flair. It was a bit like the character Little John, from Robin Hood, who was called Little because he was huge ... Patterson never had a trick, and I can’t ever remember him doing a step-over in the two or three seasons he was with us.

Clarke singlehandedly killed my love of the game; every promising move broke down when he got the ball, with his robotic instinct to pass the ball back (usually to Patterson, who would lob the ball straight to their ‘keeper) whenever we went on the attack.

Really liked Craig Noone though, and thought he was massively under used while he was here.