Ryan Lowe and Sheff Wed | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe and Sheff Wed

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
jespafc":1nqvoqwg said:
Sorry folks, Sheffs Weds are a much bigger club than we are, and that's not going to change any time soon, so RL mentioning that he'd like to manage them in the future is really a non issue.

Indeed. Wednesday are a proper sleeping giant. One of the few clubs who can genuinely claim to be such.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
jespafc":1klkocqb said:
Sorry folks, Sheffs Weds are a much bigger club than we are, and that's not going to change any time soon, so RL mentioning that he'd like to manage them in the future is really a non issue.

Itā€™s not gonna change anytime ever Jes but know what you mean. I do think itā€™s a bit of an issue though, for the reasons I gave. For me it ranks alongside his early comments about Danny Mayor being better than Carey or Lameiras. Both have been PR mistakes and show he still has plenty to learn. We know heā€™s at the beginning of his managerial career, but as a former player he knows this sort of thing doesnā€™t go down well with supporters.

Some nice comments about him on Owls forums remembering him as a good striker with a footballing brain, who was crapped upon by Dave Jones who sold him in the summer after promotion to the Championship. Most think heā€™s got a bit more to do yet before he could be a potential Wednesday manager, but interestingly, there was massive disappointment when Wednesday got Monk instead of the Cowleys. If Lowe gets Argyle up, he will have achieved more than Cowley with two promotions in the EFL.

May 16, 2016
Lundan Cabbie":13llcjgk said:
jespafc":13llcjgk said:

Indeed. Wednesday are a proper sleeping giant. One of the few clubs who can genuinely claim to be such.

I agree, I honestly think they could be as big a Club as Barca, Celtic or even Stoke. I saw an interview with Pepe about his time in the English game and when asked about Wednesday he said that once he'd realised that was actually their real name, he recognised them as definitely a Club he would Google when he got home.

We're Minnows really. No comparison.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Guiri Green":19qwc6zx said:
Lundan Cabbie":19qwc6zx said:
jespafc":19qwc6zx said:

I agree, I honestly think they could be as big a Club as Barca, Celtic or even Stoke. I saw an interview with Pepe about his time in the English game and when asked about Wednesday he said that once he'd realised that was actually their real name, he recognised them as definitely a Club he would Google when he got home.

We're Minnows really. No comparison.

Wow Guiri, thatā€™s hilarious. You could rival Lenny Bruce with wit like that!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Devongreenowl":1h3sigms said:
I I love both clubs, but only one of them is massive.

Yeah but we're the biggest in our County, you're not even the biggest in your City.

Lundan Cabbie

āšŖļø Pasoti Visitor āšŖļø
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":11rfa3bl said:
Devongreenowl":11rfa3bl said:

Yeah but we're the biggest in our County, you're not even the biggest in your City.

Indeed so. On average attendances Argyle are about 5,500 ahead of their most local rivals whereas Wednesday trail The Blades by 7,000.

:greensmile:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":2xl0ia0l said:
Devongreenowl":2xl0ia0l said:

Ha ha. What is it they say about class and form? The Blunts are undoubtedly doing well at the moment. It never lasts though.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Lundan Cabbie":147zi5oh said:
IJN":147zi5oh said:
Devongreenowl":147zi5oh said:

Indeed so. On average attendances Argyle are about 5,500 ahead of their most local rivals whereas Wednesday trail The Blades by 7,000.

:greensmile:

And I think your average home attendance trails Brightonā€™s by about 5k, despite both being in the same league. Traditionally, Wednesday are the best supported club in Sheffield, but there would have to be something seriously wrong if the Blunts couldnā€™t get better crowds when theyā€™re in the Premiership. When they last went to Wembley for a championship play off final, they couldnā€™t even sell their allocation out. Wednesday meanwhile, could have sold theirs for the Hull play off final twice over.

Oct 31, 2015
Pottypilgrim":1lr2trl0 said:
memory man":1lr2trl0 said:
Presto":1lr2trl0 said:
Football with the exception of the fans is the last place to look for loyalty, commitment and belief in the badge. The average tenure whether by choice or not of a manager is relative short. Why would you uproot family and move away from friends and wider family to move 200 plus miles only to face the prospect of having to do it all over again in another two or three years or in some cases months.

Players and managers alike thump the chest, kiss the badge and say all the things the fans want to hear about their beloved city/towns football team. Then before you know it they have moved on for a better deal or because they have been sacked and surprise surprise they are repeating the same mantra somewhere else. I doubt Lowe is any worse or better in that respect than the other 90 plus similar guys.

Of course he will go at sometime and the more successful he has is the quicker he is likely to be poached. Does not make him a bad person it is reality and a reflection of the ethics of what was once a game and is now a ruthless business.
This post nails it for me. Let's be fair, for 48 hours after the result at Exeter there would have been a queue of fans wanting to buy him a ticket to Sheffield.

I understand this. The issue I and some others obviously have is why say it then. By not bringing his family down, he is showing to me that he is just pretty much saying whatever he thinks we want to hear so we all believe in him. At the extreme, that is exactly what a confidence trickster does. To him, Argyle really is a stepping stone and he will say/do whatever he feels he has to do to succeed. I really do get that but when people try to take me for a fool it really gets under my skin

How do you know he wasnt planning on bringing his family down after the school year had completed before this virus hit?

In fact let's say he was about to rent a family home but this stopped him :thumbs: .

This sort of thing drives me potty :banghead:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I've said this before and I'll say it again, what would be wrong with being used as a stepping stone and a manager moving on to bigger things? Because in the vast majority of cases, that means they've done well. Do you think Lincoln fans wish they never had Cowley? Do you think Luton fans wish they never had Jones? Do you think Burton fans wish they never had Rowett? I could go on. If Lowe left following, for example, a promotion and a stabilising season in L1, I'd thank him, remember him fondly and wish him well. I'm not even suggesting that'll be the case, I think Lowe has assimilated in with the club brilliantly at all levels. It's also important to point out that the philosophy and direction being implemented at the club at the moment will carry on from manager to manager, Hallett has made that clear. To summarise there just seems to be a real fear of success among our fans, some people would rather we had some average plodder who is here forever but achieves absolutely nothing. Let's enjoy Ryan, his team and the journey we're on, instead of being constantly cynical.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Cobi Budge":2zlyggv1 said:
I've said this before and I'll say it again, what would be wrong with being used as a stepping stone and a manager moving on to bigger things? Because in the vast majority of cases, that means they've done well. Do you think Lincoln fans wish they never had Cowley? Do you think Luton fans wish they never had Jones? Do you think Burton fans wish they never had Rowett? I could go on. If Lowe left following, for example, a promotion and a stabilising season in L1, I'd thank him, remember him fondly and wish him well. I'm not even suggesting that'll be the case, I think Lowe has assimilated in with the club brilliantly at all levels. It's also important to point out that the philosophy and direction being implemented at the club at the moment will carry on from manager to manager, Hallett has made that clear. To summarise there just seems to be a real fear of success among our fans, some people would rather we had some average plodder who is here forever but achieves absolutely nothing. Let's enjoy Ryan, his team and the journey we're on, instead of being constantly cynical.

Spot on Cobi. It happens at every level, unless nobody is interested in your manager. Ambitious people seek advancement in football and life in general.

Aug 5, 2015
I agree too Cobi. Letā€™s hope we donā€™t get pood upon again when he eventually departs. Just as an aside isnā€™t Cocko interested in managing them as well?

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":3kg9m70c said:

The philosophy and direction seems to be based on Dewsnip being around for a long time, and obviously getting on with a different manager/first team coach should there be one.
I not sure what sort of person applying for the job would appreciate being told the tactics, style and formation that the Club expects him/her to adhere to, perhaps one with no experience looking for their first job.
Then the question on continuity is what happens if Dewsnip leaves?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Surely the point is the club would only appoint a manager who plays a style of football that fits the overall strategy. So for instance, somebody like Derek Adams neednā€™t apply in future v :whistle: