Ryan Lowe and Sheff Wed | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Lowe and Sheff Wed

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Kentishgreen":12aeyzkx said:
I agree too Cobi. Let’s hope we don’t get pood upon again when he eventually departs. Just as an aside isn’t Cocko interested in managing them as well?

I’m sure he is. He still lives in Sheffield and is fondly remembered by most Owls fans. He’s hardly pulling up trees as a manager though, so think Lowe would be in front of him. I think it’s all academic anyway as I anticipate Monk will be given the chance to put his own squad together there and get rid of the trouble makers in the dressing room. Ryan Lowe might well be a candidate in a year or two if he gets Argyle up, which I think he was well on course to do before this pandemic hit.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Interesting post on Owlstalk (bear with me) re the best away support seen at Hillsborough.

The Green Army are nominated three times which is quite an Acknowledgement

11 hours ago, marconi said:
Agree with the Sunderland vote. Plymouth fans were good too for the night match at Hillsborough.

I go with the Plymouth fans that night, followed by Rangers.
Agree

Posted 6 hours ago
Plymouth when sturrock was in charge, midweek game about 3500 turned up, sang all game the team gave us a footballing lesson.

Always had respect for them since and keep an eye out for their results, nice to see an ex owl doing his magic with them now.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":15fwd7cg said:
Interesting post on Owlstalk (bear with me) re the best away support seen at Hillsborough.

Agree with the Sunderland vote. Plymouth fans were good too for the night match at Hillsborough.

Agree

Posted 6 hours ago
Plymouth when sturrock was in charge, midweek game about 3500 turned up, sang all game the team gave us a footballing lesson.

Always had respect for them since and keep an eye out for their results, nice to see an ex owl doing his magic with them now.

Best atmosphere at an away game with Palace was at Hillsborough for the 2010 relegation decider.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Devongreenowl":1r3u9kwv said:

Agree

Posted 6 hours ago

That was an amazing night. In fact that was an amazing 4 days as we had stuffed Port Vale 1-5 on the Saturday prior.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
And of course Sturrock ended up managing there, just as people fear Lowe might. Sturrock was loved up there but having won promotion didn’t make it to the next level. So many links between the two clubs over the years.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Devongreenowl":3otsf1uw said:
Kentishgreen":3otsf1uw said:
I agree too Cobi. Let’s hope we don’t get pood upon again when he eventually departs. Just as an aside isn’t Cocko interested in managing them as well?

I’m sure he is. He still lives in Sheffield and is fondly remembered by most Owls fans. He’s hardly pulling up trees as a manager though, so think Lowe would be in front of him. I think it’s all academic anyway as I anticipate Monk will be given the chance to put his own squad together there and get rid of the trouble makers in the dressing room. Ryan Lowe might well be a candidate in a year or two if he gets Argyle up, which I think he was well on course to do before this pandemic hit.
I would agree that Lowe is probably a little bit ahead of Cocko now but it strikes me that your "hardly pulling up any trees" verdict is a bit hard on the Irishman. Okay, he has not had it so good at Mansfield but I thought - without looking it up - that he did a more than decent job at Bristol Rovers. I am sure they were in trouble when he joined and he got them well clear at the end of that season. Certainly the fellah that took over from him cannot get a tune out of the same players Cocko left behind. I also seem to recall that people at HP were really impressed with Mansfield this season and were just glad they couldn't finish.

Aug 5, 2016
I seem to remember Rovers were 4th in the table when Cocko left and well in automatic promotion contention.

Now they are £24m in debt - perhaps one of the reasons he left.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
memory man":1jua81su said:
Devongreenowl":1jua81su said:
Kentishgreen":1jua81su said:

I would agree that Lowe is probably a little bit ahead of Cocko now but it strikes me that your "hardly pulling up any trees" verdict is a bit hard on the Irishman. Okay, he has not had it so good at Mansfield but I thought - without looking it up - that he did a more than decent job at Bristol Rovers. I am sure they were in trouble when he joined and he got them well clear at the end of that season. Certainly the fellah that took over from him cannot get a tune out of the same players Cocko left behind. I also seem to recall that people at HP were really impressed with Mansfield this season and were just glad they couldn't finish.

I suppose as a manager you’re only as good as your current team, although maybe I was a bit hard on him. I wasn’t impressed with some of his media profile when Mansfield were struggling. He came across as somewhat negative and downbeat. As a Wednesdayite, if I had to choose between the two, it would be Ryan Lowe all day long. I feel players almost certainly come into work with a smile on their faces with him at the helm.

Jun 27, 2019
Pretty sure we beat Tranmere 6-0 in the game prior to Port Vale as well. It was a remarkable week and not one we are likely to ever see again imo.

That night at Hillsborough was possibly my favourite ever away trip. What a following, what an atmosphere, what a team...

Apr 4, 2004
I'll be gutted if he goes. But I think we have to accept that he may move on to bigger and better things. Of course he may decline that opportunity when it comes calling. He may decide that he's seen his share of uncertainty after the Bury mess and that he values security, being at a club that he can grow with for some time and a chairman that is reasonable to work with compared to many. I suspect he is to ambitious for all that and will eventually want try his luck at a massive club. But it would be a risk for him. Turning his back on what he's got here with us could be a mistake. We can't compare to Sheffield Wednesday in stature but we can achieve great things under Mr Hallett.

That stuff is out of our hands. Mr Hallett will have thought of all of this and will have a plan should we get dumped for a another club. I'm certain of that.

Jun 27, 2019
ming the merciless":1k3ah0a3 said:
I'll be gutted if he goes. But I think we have to accept that he may move on to bigger and better things. Of course he may decline that opportunity when it comes calling. He may decide that he's seen his share of uncertainty after the Bury mess and that he values security, being at a club that he can grow with for some time and a chairman that is reasonable to work with compared to many. I suspect he is to ambitious for all that and will eventually want try his luck at a massive club. But it would be a risk for him. Turning his back on what he's got here with us could be a mistake. We can't compare to Sheffield Wednesday in stature but we can achieve great things under Mr Hallett.

That stuff is out of our hands. Mr Hallett will have thought of all of this and will have a plan should we get dumped for a another club. I'm certain of that.

Agreed, and as you suggest bigger doesn't always mean better. You wouldn't describe Bournemouth as a bigger club than Wednesday, but they've certainly been better for the past decade. Would Eddie Howe ever have been a Premier League manager if he'd left Bournemouth in League Two to move to Wednesday?

As a manager you have to back the right horse to have a chance of succeeding. Just because Wednesday are a bigger club than us doesn't necessarily mean they are better for Lowe's career prospects.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Would have to disagree that they have been better for a decade. Five or six years maybe. At one point in the last decade they were L1 and Wednesday were Championship, so hardly. No question they have done amazingly well but I felt it was going to come to an end this season until this untimely intervention. You would then have seen them slowly return to small club status, surviving on crowds of 5-6k which they were doing within the last ten years.

It’s a good point re the grass not always being greener on the other side. History is full of managers who have failed to take the very real step up to manage a big club with a huge tradition. Personally, whilst I rate Lowe very highly and would be happy to see him at Hillsborough after Argyle, I actually don’t think he is ready for it. He’s played there and knows the club, but the pressure on a manager at a club like Wednesday is immense.

Eddie Howe has done a great job at Bournemouth but the pressure on him is probably fairly limited. He’s actually well and truly over achieved there. Who would have expected them to spend more than 1-2 seasons in the Prem? If they’d been relegated this season, he would have probably got a big Championship job, but it seems the bigger Prem clubs aren’t really interested in him. His best chance is to get back up there with one of the big Championship clubs and go from there.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":3eb4qutm said:
Would have to disagree that they have been better for a decade. Five or six years maybe. At one point in the last decade they were L1 and Wednesday were Championship, so hardly. No question they have done amazingly well but I felt it was going to come to an end this season until this untimely intervention. You would then have seen them slowly return to small club status, surviving on crowds of 5-6k which they were doing within the last ten years.

It’s a good point re the grass not always being greener on the other side. History is full of managers who have failed to take the very real step up to manage a big club with a huge tradition. Personally, whilst I rate Lowe very highly and would be happy to see him at Hillsborough after Argyle, I actually don’t think he is ready for it. He’s played there and knows the club, but the pressure on a manager at a club like Wednesday is immense.

Eddie Howe has done a great job at Bournemouth but the pressure on him is probably fairly limited. He’s actually well and truly over achieved there. Who would have expected them to spend more than 1-2 seasons in the Prem? If they’d been relegated this season, he would have probably got a big Championship job, but it seems the bigger Prem clubs aren’t really interested in him. His best chance is to get back up there with one of the big Championship clubs and go from there.

I think we should forgive Bournemouth ONE mid season finish in their climb from the fourth tier to the top table. No other clubs' achievements compare to Bournemouth's over the last ten years let alone Sheffield Wednesday.