Sheff United (A) 4th round, Millwall/Bristol (H) 5th Round | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheff United (A) 4th round, Millwall/Bristol (H) 5th Round

Apr 1, 2009
charlieboy":2pohyqj6 said:
This is a perfectly winnable game, I'm sure if you had asked Leeds or West Ham supporters before there games against Crawley and Stockport they would have been equally as conceited as Sheffield, Leeds were kicked off the park and West Ham were very lucky We have nothing to fear providing RL sets them up properly. Personally I am very confident, If Sheffield think it is already done then fantastic..Lowe goes on about respecting the opposition which in my view is one of our downfalls, They should respect us. COYG. ,

1. Since you are so confident, why is this our cup final? If we do as well as you think we can, we're going to play at least once more afterwards.

2. Because a small number of their fans assume they are going to win, how do you get to Sheffield being conceited, and thinking "it is already done"? How does that work? It's complete nonsense. Teams having as bad a season as SU are not going to be overflowing with confidence, let alone conceit (if you know what that means). Why do people read so much into what a few fans say on a forum? They are as bad in this respect - they are highlighting Cobi as representing the thoughts of the entire Argyle fanbase! (Sorry. Cobi)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
There are possible influences on the result yet to materialise, such as Wilder getting the bum's rush by the owners of Sheffield Utd, or him also putting out a second string side, whilst he rests his Premier squad to fight a more remunerative battle such as retaining a position in the Premier League for next season. It may look remote at this moment, given their position, but stranger things have happened. I just hope that should our creaking defence be bolstered in the transfer window by an incomer, that he is not cup-tied!

We can be cynical about Chairmanā€™sā€™ promises, but Wilder has been publicly assured of his tenure even if they are relegated. He may therefore be thinking of doing a Wigan, FA Cup and relegation from the Prem, and consequently putting out a full strength team. Heā€™ll also see any win against any team as a morale improver, as it was against Bristol Rovers.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
mervyn":1ibmvhj8 said:
We can be cynical about Chairmanā€™sā€™ promises, but Wilder has been publicly assured of his tenure even if they are relegated. He may therefore be thinking of doing a Wigan, FA Cup and relegation from the Prem, and consequently putting out a full strength team. Heā€™ll also see any win against any team as a morale improver, as it was against Bristol Rovers.

I suppose we will see tonight if indeed it was a morale improver Mervyn. If they beat Newcastle, it will have been. If they lose there will be plenty on their forums criticising him for not resting his first team at Rovers. Thatā€™s the tightrope called football management. The fact is, theyā€™re as good as down so Wilder might as well go for glory in the cup and I will be surprised if Argyle donā€™t face a full strength or close to full strength Blunts line up.

Keith Whitfield

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Mar 30, 2015
Pity it's not normal times. We could have listened to them singing their "Greasy Chip Butty" song before the match. Now there's class for you (not). There are some advantages in this pandemic!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think Sheffield United would be extremely harsh to sack Wilder considering what he's done for them. They simply don't have the resources to compete in the Premier League this season.

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":25pnz0wx said:
I think Sheffield United would be extremely harsh to sack Wilder considering what he's done for them. They simply don't have the resources to compete in the Premier League this season.
Extremely harsh? No wins in the league and only just beat a league one club in the cup! Regardless of the financial situation the buck stops with the Manager.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oldage":pxhgst74 said:
Cobi Budge":pxhgst74 said:
Extremely harsh? No wins in the league and only just beat a league one club in the cup! Regardless of the financial situation the buck stops with the Manager.

He's taken them from League 1 to the Premier League, achieving a 9th place finish last season. If they continue to struggle in the Championship then yes, but I think he's earned the right to a first poor patch in in 4 years.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Quintrell_Green":bhkwgo8w said:
There are possible influences on the result yet to materialise, such as Wilder getting the bum's rush by the owners of Sheffield Utd, or him also putting out a second string side, whilst he rests his Premier squad to fight a more remunerative battle such as retaining a position in the Premier League for next season. It may look remote at this moment, given their position, but stranger things have happened. I just hope that should our creaking defence be bolstered in the transfer window by an incomer, that he is not cup-tied!

In a PL context, I was just wondering what stranger things have happened than a team with 2 points in mid January and 12 from safety, staying up?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":2y7mwu61 said:
Cobi Budge":2y7mwu61 said:

I think thereā€™s only so many brownie points Wilder can keep in the bank from past achievements. If he had the final say on the purchase of Rhiannon Brewster for instance, some might think Ā£23m might have been better spent. They needed a striker they could bank on to give them more than their current journeymen and Championship quality players, not somebody who might come good in a couple of years time.