Sheff United (A) 4th round, Millwall/Bristol (H) 5th Round | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheff United (A) 4th round, Millwall/Bristol (H) 5th Round

Jul 12, 2016
Cobi Budge":3pjrteul said:
oldage":3pjrteul said:
Cobi Budge":3pjrteul said:
I think Sheffield United would be extremely harsh to sack Wilder considering what he's done for them. They simply don't have the resources to compete in the Premier League this season.
Extremely harsh? No wins in the league and only just beat a league one club in the cup! Regardless of the financial situation the buck stops with the Manager.

He's taken them from League 1 to the Premier League, achieving a 9th place finish last season. If they continue to struggle in the Championship then yes, but I think he's earned the right to a first poor patch in in 4 years.

There is little sentiment in football.

Oct 20, 2015
Wilder doesn't have a choice. He has to field a 2nd string side. Survival in the Prem is worth an order of magnitude more than FA cup success. That's why we see so many premier League teams taking the p155 with their FA cup team selection. The FA cup is a footnote to those teams. Winning it didn't do Pompey or Wigan much good. Money talks.

So the next question is, what are their reserves like? You'd think it's mainly whatever they had from last season, so theoretically same standard as Huddersfield?

We can win this IF we work on set pieces and study their weaknesses and exploit.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
slingsby_pobble":ycp4dcn9 said:
Wilder doesn't have a choice. He has to field a 2nd string side. Survival in the Prem is worth an order of magnitude more than FA cup success. That's why we see so many premier League teams taking the p155 with their FA cup team selection. The FA cup is a footnote to those teams. Winning it didn't do Pompey or Wigan much good. Money talks.

So the next question is, what are their reserves like? You'd think it's mainly whatever they had from last season, so theoretically same standard as Huddersfield?

We can win this IF we work on set pieces and study their weaknesses and exploit.

So why didn’t he field a 2nd string side at Rovers Slings? Have you seen their next 7 PL fixtures? They haven’t got a hope in hell :lol: If by some miracle they beat Newcastle and Spurs they might rest their players for Argyle, but if they get any less than 3 points they’ve nothing to lose by playing a strong side against Argyle. They’re a PL football club, of course their fringe players are better than Huddersfield’s.

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I think Sheffield will be a bigger test than Huddersfield but we have a chance if we play well and they don't.
It is the FA Cup and we've surprised teams in the past so let's do it again. COYG.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Devongreenowl":2f9ak61q said:
slingsby_pobble":2f9ak61q said:

So why didn’t he field a 2nd string side at Rovers Slings? Have you seen their next 7 PL fixtures? They haven’t got a hope in hell :lol: If by some miracle they beat Newcastle and Spurs they might rest their players for Argyle, but if they get any less than 3 points they’ve nothing to lose by playing a strong side against Argyle. They’re a PL football club, of course their fringe players are better than Huddersfield’s.

So you wouldn’t take a spell in the prem and a FA cup win then?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
cheshiregreen":1gmx4cek said:
Blades beating Newcastle tonight.

They struggled to breakdown a well drilled Newcastle defence who were a man short in the second half. I'm not sure Argyle can be that solid at the back but who knows? It's the FA Cup and anything can happen.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Devongreenowl":3tb91tsm said:
Any talk of 'Yorkshire arrogance' is pretty uncalled for too. I’m just wondering what most on here would have been saying if Argyle had got a home draw against a side from two leagues below instead. I’m sure there’d have been some so-called Janner arrogance then, if it had been say Torquay or Yeovil.

It is however a shame that the Green Army can’t travel because that would have been a good day out, with plenty of songs about the Blunts perilous position in the PL.

But you can always tell a Yorkshire man.

But you can't tell him much...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
dazzy3000":rr9nlcgc said:
Devongreenowl":rr9nlcgc said:
slingsby_pobble":rr9nlcgc said:

So you wouldn’t take a spell in the prem and a FA cup win then?

Eh?

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":27nad0ls said:
Sheffield United are Premier League in name, but in reality they have a Championship squad. L1 quality side against a Championship side, as I say, not impossible.

I hope you are right Cobi I really do! Utd do have a superior squad but I fear the sheer physicality of their players will overwhelm us. They will bully us. Having said that they are capable of playing some very good football. Our only hope is that they play their B team imo.