"The stats don't lie..." | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"The stats don't lie..."

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
- No wins
- As many penalties conceded as goals scored
- 7 injuries
- No settled first team
- No settled formation
- Rock bottom of the table
- Terrible summer signings
- No pre-season
- Ex-players inferring bullying by Derek

I don’t care if this is budget or p1ss poor management. This is pathetic and embarrassing.

End.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Tony_Flags":1h2y5yfs said:
- No wins
- As many penalties conceded as goals scored
- 7 injuries
- No settled first team
- No settled formation
- Rock bottom of the table
- Terrible summer signings
- No pre-season
- Ex-players inferring bullying by Derek

I don’t care if this is budget or p1ss poor management. This is pathetic and embarrassing.

End.

Doesn’t read well when you put it Like that.. although we did knock out Bristol City in the league cup.

Dec 3, 2005
Majority of teams start the season the first week in August, for some weird reason Argyle starts theirs in October.
The only reason for that is the preseason.
We cannot continue to use the first 10 games of a season sorting out our tactics and team selection.
There is a small but significant gap appearing between us and dare I say safety. This sorry start MUST end against Doncaster, though that will be a tough ask, as they have only lost one game.
I dread the thought of only having 3 points from a possible 30!!

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Talk about stats all you want.

We had DOUBLE the number of shots that Peterborough had against us & we had the bulk of the possesion. We still lost 5 1 & deservedly so.

Aug 13, 2011
djg145":2azslbyz said:
Last 15 League matches = 8pts from a possible 45!!!
That is a very scary stat!!! We have 2 of the most gifted players in the Division in Carey and Lameiras and we can't do better than this???

Jul 12, 2016
Scary indeed and proves that we are not only capable of a "purple patch" but a sustained period of underperforming. Unfortunately if/when results start to pick up I think we will still struggle to make much headway with the current group of players.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Come the cold days and heavy ground Carey and Lameiras become less effective as a rule.

Last year's run won't be repeated by any team in th8s league let alone this current squad at Argyle.

Make no mistake we are already in a relegation dogfight and 20th seems a big ask.
Hopefully we are not cast adrift by Xmas or we will go down this time

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I’ve still got faith we’ll survive.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":3q1m71v9 said:
I’ve still got faith we’ll survive.

So do I, I think we'll avoid relegation, and probably fairly comfortably.

However, that really doesn't excuse the position we're in, why do we have to be playing catch up? As I said on another thread, it can only be down to squad overhauls and below par pre seasons.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
For those that think we are going to survive comfortably what is the optimism based on ?
A whole new back 4 in the January transfer window.

I'm afraid I don't share the confidence in this squad or manager this time round.
TLC look a shadow of themselves from last year.
The midfield is unbalanced and all at sea and the defence is the worst I have ever seen at Argyle.

Is there going to be 4 teams worse than us is the only question anyone can possibly have

Aug 13, 2011
I reluctantly agree with the main reaction to this argument. Stats are to generalised as shots on goal, Tynan had a fair share but he had a knack of finding the corner of the net whereas many a lesser striker for Argyle (I've known a few!) would put it straight at the goalkeeper. Stat reads, a shot at goal, the stat that counts, Tynan's went in. You can argue this from a quality-wise perspective all over the football field adapeted to the various scenarios, like a completed pass, does this mean it's the right pass. Corners? Yes is there a subsequent threat from those corners. So the point? It's quality of, not quantity of, right down to possession.....that counts. Conclusion is stats do lie.

Aug 13, 2011
gariboldi":2jj7w8yx said:
I reluctantly agree with the main reaction to this argument. Stats are far too generalised; take shots on goal, Tynan had a fair share but he had a knack of finding the corner of the net whereas many a lesser striker for Argyle (I've known a few!) would put it straight at the goalkeeper. Stat reads, a shot at goal, the stat that counts, Tynan's went in. You can argue this from a quality-wise perspective all over the football field adapeted to the various scenarios, like a completed pass, does this mean it's the right pass. Corners? Yes many, but is there a subsequent threat from those corners? Again with goals counting on the scoresheet, the only stat that matters. So the point? It's quality of, not quantity of, right down to possession.....that counts. Conclusion is stats do lie.

Good post

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
samjones":1wcekjpt said:
For those that think we are going to survive comfortably what is the optimism based on ?
A whole new back 4 in the January transfer window.

I'm afraid I don't share the confidence in this squad or manager this time round.
TLC look a shadow of themselves from last year.
The midfield is unbalanced and all at sea and the defence is the worst I have ever seen at Argyle.

Is there going to be 4 teams worse than us is the only question anyone can possibly have

My faith on surviving is based purely on one thing Derek Adams. If the past is a marker for the future Derek’s CV is good enough to me to evidence we will survive.