New home shirt unveiled | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

New home shirt unveiled

The new home shirt

• Yes, I like it

Votes: 57 52.3%
  • No, I don't like it

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I'm undecided

Votes: 22 20.2%

• Total voters

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I wonder if the shade of colour looks lighter in person.

The photos of the kit in the club shop on Twitter look a bit lighter.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Are we the only team in the UK that camouflage for midweek evening games? :greensmile:

As we're into data analysis why doesn't someone analyse the number of evening homes games we've lost since Peter Jones's branding 'green' came in. It must be an eye opener surely.

Did I mention Peter admitted to me he was colour blind? (True Story) and he very much reads this site on a VERY regular basis. :wave:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
OwenJones":ovsy5zop said:
It's a branding thing though. It'd have to be a strategic decision for the club to change it rather than an ad-hoc management decision.

That’s the thing I don’t get though, because loads of other clubs mix up the shades of their shirt from season to season. Why have we got this permanent and unchangeable branding, and no-one else has?

The most relevant example is the most famous green shirted club beside ourselves... the ‘Les Verts’ of St Etienne. Google ‘Saint Etienne Le Coq Sportif shirts’ so you get the most recent ones, and you have several different shades.

Remember, you’re not changing the branding of the club. You’re changing the colour of a shirt that lasts one season. That’s thrown into sharp focus when you release a shirt based on the 1984 kit, but for some reason have to stick to the dark green ‘branding’ and it doesn’t quite work with the black pinstripes. And isn’t a proper homage to that kit anyway. Surely you just make it brighter green like the original :lol:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Biggs":32mprok4 said:
OwenJones":32mprok4 said:
It's a branding thing though. It'd have to be a strategic decision for the club to change it rather than an ad-hoc management decision.

That’s the thing I don’t get though, because loads of other clubs mix up the shades of their shirt from season to season. Why have we got this permanent and unchangeable branding, and no-one else has? That’s the thing that baffles me.

The most relevant example is the most famous green shirted club beside ourselves... the ‘Les Verts’ of St Etienne.

Google ‘Saint Etienne Le Coq Sportif shirts’ so you get the most recent ones, and you have several different shades.

I agree.

It’s just too safe and underwhelming.

Take a punt every now and again.!

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Biggs":qrpg4yc1 said:
OwenJones":qrpg4yc1 said:

That’s the thing I don’t get though, because loads of other clubs mix up the shades of their shirt from season to season. Why have we got this permanent and unchangeable branding, and no-one else has?

The most relevant example is the most famous green shirted club beside ourselves... the ‘Les Verts’ of St Etienne. Google ‘Saint Etienne Le Coq Sportif shirts’ so you get the most recent ones, and you have several different shades.

Remember, you’re not changing the branding of the club. You’re changing the colour of a shirt that lasts one season. That’s thrown into sharp focus when you release a shirt based on the 1984 kit, but for some reason have to stick to the dark green ‘branding’ and it doesn’t quite work with the black pinstripes. And isn’t a proper homage to that kit anyway. Surely you just make it brighter green like the original :lol:

Sounds like something to be brought up at next Fans Forum? Guess that will be hrld in/around start of season.

Can't say I remember it being raised previously although I missed last one. Go for it Biggs :thumbup:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It's an odd situation because some fans don't like the current green and yet the club say each year there are record sales so maybe it's an Internet thing.
Or is it overall sales that is a record each year, the away shirt or third shirt sales compensating for low sales of the home shirts?
It would be good to see a break down each year of sales of home, away and third shirt sales.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
PL2 3DQ":2csfamyt said:
It's an odd situation because some fans don't like the current green and yet the club say each year there are record sales so maybe it's an Internet thing.
Or is it overall sales that is a record each year, the away shirt or third shirt sales compensating for low sales of the home shirts?
It would be good to see a break down each year of sales of home, away and third shirt sales.

Yep, I suspect that it’s the away shirts making more sales, but would love to see. I personally think the actual shirt designs have been really good in recent years, especially those away/third shirts and especially since Ginsters fully dropped the red blob for us.

I think the good designs combined with the fact that increasing amounts of people buy the shirts no matter what (especially last year, to help the club), result in good sales.

I highly suspect a bright green shirt would sell record numbers for a home kit, even if it’s purely because it’s a refreshing change after 20 years and there’s more reason to buy something different. And the ‘brighter future’ marketing writes itself.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
WoodsyGreen":2sghhl64 said:
And the shade of green they want is obviously this one. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bizarre.

Who are the 'they' that dictate what colour 'our' club wears?

'We' are 'us': the supporters. Many of 'us' have followed and invested in the club since WW2 or just after!!

Aren't 'they' employed by 'us'?
Don't 'we' get a choice as to what 'they' say that 'we' should wear?? :crazy:

Jan 27, 2012
I like this shirt very much. I don’t usually buy Argyle shirts but I might make an exception with this one- its nice and simple and I love the pinstripes. Looking forward to seeing this shirt in person.

Personally I like black shorts- if you look back at the historical kits Argyle has spent long periods playing with black shorts and white socks. My favourite shirt of all time is the 1980s National and Provincial and this one is kind of similar (although a darker shade).

Nov 26, 2019
I’m not a fan of pinstripes , good green would like the black stripes.
Though in all honesty I just want a winning team in green.

Dec 30, 2020
the design is really nice but it's hard to tell what the shade of green will look like based only on pictures.

The photos from the club shop on the Argyle twitter feed look good, but I suspect they've been well illuminated.

If it's the same shade as the past few seasons, it'll look navy blue/mud coloured from more than a metre or two away.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
OwenJones":29l3unnx said:
Biggs":29l3unnx said:
OwenJones":29l3unnx said:
We've been dark green a long time now – not going to change any time soon!

That’s exactly why it should change. It’s been 20 years now. Even if you love the current colour, it has to be time to change it up.

It’s absolutely bizarre to resign ourselves to having dark dark green forever and always, when it’s 100% within our (the club’s) control to have whatever shade of green they want.

The only reasons to change that I can see are to appease fans who supported the club for many years before the change of colour and have never really accepted the change or, at a push, to create a more vibrant/visible shade on the pitch. Wimbledon changed to dark blue in the mid 90s to seem more aggressive and intimidating – it could be a reason to stick with the dark green now. Not that I'd mind a brighter green, personally, on face value!

The brand is Plymouth Argyle Football Club not the shirt colour, The Ginsters logo is in white script which couldn`t be further from their normal branding, but it is still recognisable as Ginsters.